Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have a 89 Taurus, which is in ok shape, but I am having a strange problem with my AC.

When I turn it on, I hear a flapping noise, similar to putting a card in a bicycle wheel, then the air flow from my main vent shuts down.

I can still hear the swooshing of air, but no air flow.

Now the AC still works if I switch to floor or dashboard, but not the main vents.

I know zero about auto repair, but my first reaction is that a something (maybe the part that determines the flow of air) has gotten stuck in the vent and that it's not the ac itself that needs fixing.

I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me not to be surprised if the mechanic has to remove the entire front dash to determine what the problem is. That sounds pretty expensive and I am hesitant to put serious repair money into a 15 year old car, but going w/o ac is not an option when you live in SE Texas.

Does anyone have any idea how serious or not serious this problem is, and what I can expect when I take it to a mechanic.

Redrocket

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I believe the AC compressor will still run in the bi-level mode (Feet and face vents). You will know when the AC is running by listening to the compressor "click" on to cool down the air. I believe in 1989 the Taurus was still using vaccum controlled splitters to direct air flow. Unfortunately, the dash may have to be removed, but I wouldn't say that yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A thought that I had was the Blower Motor...
In my 92 I had to replace it, not that hard, just a pain to get to.
(It's on the passenger side up in the dash)

Not sure if it is the same on a 89 (Gen I)

When you turn the speed control knob is there any change in the amount
of air passing through the dash/floor vent areas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the reply.

I plan to go out to my car and run a couple of test, while listening very carefully.

I'll post what I hear tomorrow.

Redrocket

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by KnightM@Jan 21 2004, 03:39 PM
A thought that I had was the Blower Motor...
In my 92 I had to replace it, not that hard, just a pain to get to.
(It's on the passenger side up in the dash)

Not sure if it is the same on a 89 (Gen I)

When you turn the speed control knob is there any change in the amount
of air passing through the dash/floor vent areas?
I believe if the blower motor was out, he wouldn't get airflow through any of the vents. There is a door that will seperate the air between floor and vent (Not the blend door though).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts