Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, having bought this car from a dealership I used to work at, I know that the service department uses 5w-20 conventional oil. The owner's manual calls for 5w-30, and I prefer to use synthetic. So I bought what I needed to do my first conventional to synthetic oil change. When I pulled the drain plug to drain the dealership oil, it came out with an unfamiliar green color:

The oil smells like normal oil, no other chemical smells in it. There are no signs of coolant leaking, it is still as full as it was when I picked up the car this past weekend. Is oil of this color a sign of problems, or is it not unusual to see oil this color? I'm sure the oil was fairly new because the car had a brand-new Motorcraft filter on it.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I hate to say this, but at a car dealership of any kind a new oil filter does not mean a new oil change. Its very possible that only the filter was changed, and by the looks of that oil thats what I would go with. As far as the color, I would hate to guess on that right now, since I have never used or mixed conventional oil and synthetic oil. My recomendation, change the oil & filter now, then drive the car for a week or two at the most and change it again to see what the color is like then.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I wonder - It is this how they dye the new "green" oils that I saw apearing latelly on the shelfs? :D

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I wonder - It is this how they dye the new "green" oils that I saw apearing latelly on the shelfs? :D

You know thats very possible. I think I would still go ahead & change the oil and go maybe a week & change it again to see how things flush out. If you want to use synthetics, wait for your second change becasue of the cost maybe.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I thought to ask about that, but it would have heavy foaming on the oil cap if that was the problem.

As for the new bio oils - I didn't buy them so I don't know what colour they really have. They might dye them in green to make them identifiable, beeing biodegradable. Someting like the red dye for transmission oils.

I am "synthetic oil" guy...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would take the oil to the dealership and ask them. Should be easy to get an honest answer especially if you still have friends there.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I would take the oil to the dealership and ask them. Should be easy to get an honest answer especially if you still have friends there.
^

Get a clear bottle and put some in it, take it in to the dealership and ask if that's what their oil should look like. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Looks like Shrek had the runs in that oil pan! ;)

Link << To green earth technologies.

I believe the oil is in fact "GREEN"

Also kendall oil is green, Ask the dealer what brand of oil they use but this is NOT coolant mixing with the oil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I didn't have friends there in the first place. I worked in the detail department, but interacted with the mechanics a lot. They were all total asses.

Looks like Shrek had the runs in that oil pan! ;)

Link << To green earth technologies.

I believe the oil is in fact "GREEN"

Also kendall oil is green, Ask the dealer what brand of oil they use but this is NOT coolant mixing with the oil.
Thanks for that last sentence! I was really concerned about that. I feel better now...more curious than worried.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Def not coolant. But I don't know what the eff that is. Never seen it before in all my years of changing oil at dealerships. I like the Shrek theory.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Most of these places buy bulk oil in 55 gal. drums, price determines what brand or supplier they get it from.
"Green" oil costs more, green means more green so that's out of the question.
Maybe some sort of industrial suppliers blend ?
Castrol in British racing green ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now that is some weird colored oil. I noticed on the link to the green oil site, the API symbol does not say "energy conserving" like the Mobil 1 5W30 says.
I would think a "green" company would want that tag?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You didn't get your oil changed around st. patricks day did you ? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts