Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Taurus, new to us, 128K miles.

I've developed a strange intermittent hoot or moan while idling in neutral. It's coming from the driver's side. Using my hose "stethoscope" (length of 1/2" plastic tubing, one end in ear, other end roaming over the engine compartment, it seems to be coming either from the air cleaner box or below it, possibly the tranny. It might even be from the mysterious black box hooked to the side of the battery.

A typical hoot lasts about half a second. There will be times when they come about a half-second apart, maybe 2 or 3 in a row. There is often 3-5 seconds between these little bursts and occasionally much longer (20 seconds or so).

Anyone experience this? I just cleaned the IAC and throttle body, and about a week ago replaced the air cleaner.

It's definitely not coming from the area of the throttle body, IAC, camshaft position sensor or valve covers/heads.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Take the oil filler cap off and see if it's still hootin'.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 15 2009, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708720
Take the oil filler cap off and see if it's still hootin'.[/b]
Thanks for the pointer, SHOZ.

It stopped doing this on the next time I started the car. Next time it does, I'll try that.

If the hooting stops with the filler cap off, what's the diagnosis? EGR valve? PCV valve? Owl in the sump?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Could be a restricted PCV system intake causing a vacuum in the crankcase.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you sure you didn't suck an owl up into the air cleaner? :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Grover @ Mar 16 2009, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709434
Are you sure you didn't suck an owl up into the air cleaner? :biglaugh:[/b]
Nope, sorry. Part of my Search For the Hoot involved popping open the filter holder and lifting the filter.

I did find a mouse nest on top of the cabin filter when I changed that...

Meanwhile, the hoot has not come back.

It's always better (and so much easier) when car complaints take care of themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts