Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am writing about a 2000 sable sedan which seems to wobble a bit when it is driven on certain types of "grate-surfaced" bridges, the ones that make the "roaring" noise when you drive over them. is this normal? I noticed this after the tires were changed, and the new tires feel like thay are made of a softer material. Thank you for any help.
The sable also sags in the rear, but I have seen many sables and tauruses that sag in the rear even without a load.

So far, the car is over ten years old(made in the end of 1999) with only about 60,000 (mostly city) miles. The biggest troublemaker so far has been the power steering which has been whining for over 5 years now(air is somehow getting in ther system). though I have read that the biggest issues reported by others are broken coil springs and failed transmission torque converters. Should coil springs be changed after ten years, and how many hours should a mechanic charge for the job? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well, the sagging springs could be changing the handling, but you should check the front end for bad/loose parts, like ball joints, tie rods (inner and outer), the springs for corrosion (an issue on these cars in the rust belts). They sell pre-loaded strut assemblies that come with springs, I would start thinking about them for the sagging back end. You should get a alinement when you buy new tires, so they don't cup or feather.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Suggestion: Take another car and drive it over those certain bridges at the same speed. If the other cars wobble, it's the bridge, if not, then suspect your suspension.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked balljoints, and they seem fine. Note that wobbling SEEMS to originate from the rear, rather than the front, but cannot say for sure. I was personally wondering if others experienced the same thing on other cars, as nyataurusabuser suggests. Car handles fine in all other situations. Just would be reassuring to know if others know of this type of wobbling on bridges. I rarely ride in other cars, though when I do, we don't always go over these bridges, and I always forget to take note of the handling. I noticed that some grate bridges have a pattern where the grating runs parallel and perpendicular to the road, while others have an added "X" pattern. I think that this "X" pattern might somehow "catch" the soft rubber tire, and the rubber tire tries to follow it...since the rear springs sag, there is noticeable "camber" in the rear, which I think means that the tire isn't just rolling, but rubbing against the surface as well, this may be the reason. I know the rear suspension is definitely not healthy, particularly on the left side, but I have been conscious about this situation for over three years, and have asked mechanics to check suspension components a few times. They never said anything was loose... I know most mechanics unfortunately look at problems superficially these days, but I don't think they would miss a wheel that is about to fall off. I am just asking here to see if anyone else experienced this.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know I noticed my cars "wobbling" when I was younger and drove over steel grated bridges and it always made me anxious when I came to one. I can't recall when the last time I was on a steel grated bridge though. If your back end is sagging, likely they're showing negative camber, riding on the inside edges, so it may help exaggerate the effect.

I never liked independent rear suspension for teh same reason, I could feel the back end going back and forth when the suspension started showing signs of wear even going down a somewhat well maintained but worn state highway.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Those metal grate bridges are something to avoid if your riding a motorcycle. I think your alinement is off, esp in the rear. I would have a 4 wheel alinement done, since you just put new tires on. If the alinement is off, that would make the metal grate bridge experience even worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts