Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey crew...long time listener, first time caller! I've searched for this but couldn't find much.

My wife has a 2005 Taurus with about 172k miles on it. She's reporting that of late when she tries to turn the car over, she get's a "clicking" and her electrical display on the dash goes completely haywire. She lets it set for a few minutes and something seems to either settle or reset and then the car turns over fine. Her battery is reasonably new...replaced in August of 2010. (About 20k miles ago).

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad ground connection. check the battery connections and see if they are loose or have corrosion.

Okay...I'm not very mechanically inclined and don't mess with batteries too much. Do I disconnect the red first before trying to clean the ground? Do I clean it with a wire brush? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
NO, the black wire (negative) gets disconnected first. Always.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
disconnect the black first and make sure it can not touch the metal on the battery, then disconnect the red and do the same. after cleaning reconnect the red then the black. do not make contact with the neg and positive at the same time.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Does it matter which terminal gets connected/disconnected first?
All depends on IF you want to get injured or damage something on the car.

Co-worker with my brother lost a finger with a wedding band and a wrench on the Pos cable with the ground still attached. Slow Burn. No reason to do it wrong.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts