Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again. I have a 2000 Taurus with the standard engine. Strata it to go to work this morn and it started with a slight rough idle which is nothing new revere engine a few times no higher then 2000 done and went away. But the problem is I moved less then 100 feet and Ann hearing a dragging sound almost like a dragging exhaust. Get out and look nothing is dragging. Continue driving and don't seem like is there any more. But it is and is intermitant sometime I can hear it and sometimes I don't. Seems like went away at 40 mph but there was to much road noise to tell. In the middle of my drive to work I heard it again pulling out of a light but then went away again. Get to work stopped at a few stop signs and I don't hear the sound any more. Shamed the exhaust pipe a little with my keys since was still hot when I got to work and I didn't hear anything. WIll see if it does it on way home again after work but don't know what it could be any innput would be greatly appreciated thanks again guys.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi Wild Bill,

Popeye here. It is common with rear drum brakes for a hold-down spring or self adjuster, etc. to dislodge and drag inside the brake drum.

If the problem is a hold-down spring, the brakeshoe return spring can pull th brake shoe against the inner surface of the brake drum. An easy way to find out is to listen for the noise while braking at low speed. If the noise quiets, the hold-down spring is the problem.

In any event, the brakes should be checked to prevent damage to the brake drum. I hope this helps.

Good Luck, Popeye

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Make sure none of your spring are broken. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts