Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i saw a puddle under my car of coolant in my works parking lot when i went to go lunch so i topped it off with water maybe just a 1/4 of gallon turned the car on popped the hood to see if i could find a leak but didn't see nothing dripping so i drove about 7 miles as i parked the car i now see dripps of coolant leaking it seems to be coming from the middle of the driver and passenger side towards the radiator area as i saw the leak going on to the protective splash shield but so i topped it off with water then i drove back to work the when i parked and turned the car off, the coolant is full and the car didn't leak not even a drip of coolant so after work i i headed home i was on the highway in some serious traffic i was scared because i thought my car was going to overheat due to the coolant leak, but as i got home no coolant leaked once again? what type of coolant leak can this be? the radiator is 1.5 years old replaced with a brand new one; i mean if it was the radiator wouldn't it leak all the time when the engine is warm? again what do you guys think it is? a hose?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The little vent line about 3/8 inch that goes tot the radiator on my 2001 leaked. It goes between the radiator and the top of the degass tank. Give it a little tug and see it it pulls loose fron the radiator. My spring hose clamp was weak at the radiator connection and I replaced it with a screw clamp.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone know what socket size i need to remove the splash shield under the raditor it looks fairly easy to remove it doesn't even look i need to use my jack pump for this one. Am hoping its just some hose or crimp or something thats leaking and guys you know what i drove today and no leak at all again.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Before removing the shield which uses some strange bolt size (I think it is 5.3mm but I used a SAE socket) do you have any green stains under the degas bottle and on the shelf it sits on. If so then I recommend checking that vent line I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before removing the shield which uses some strange bolt size (I think it is 5.3mm but I used a SAE socket) do you have any green stains under the degas bottle and on the shelf it sits on. If so then I recommend checking that vent line I mentioned earlier.
no green stains under the degas bottle or on the shelf

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
hi guys i saw a puddle under my car of coolant in my works parking lot when i went to go lunch so i topped it off with water maybe just a 1/4 of gallon turned the car on popped the hood to see if i could find a leak but didn't see nothing dripping so i drove about 7 miles as i parked the car i now see dripps of coolant leaking it seems to be coming from the middle of the driver and passenger side towards the radiator area as i saw the leak going on to the protective splash shield but so i topped it off with water then i drove back to work the when i parked and turned the car off, the coolant is full and the car didn't leak not even a drip of coolant so after work i i headed home i was on the highway in some serious traffic i was scared because i thought my car was going to overheat due to the coolant leak, but as i got home no coolant leaked once again? what type of coolant leak can this be? the radiator is 1.5 years old replaced with a brand new one; i mean if it was the radiator wouldn't it leak all the time when the engine is warm? again what do you guys think it is? a hose?
Mine was just leaking last month. My shield is off. This time it was lower radiator hose. You need to take degass tank off and check for.cracks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys so i took off the splash shield i don't see no damage to the radiator and the hoses and crimps are tight with no sign off leaking also the car hasn't leaked at all today or yesterday so i guess this leak fixed itself. I drove the car like as if am driving a SHO and still no leak however i will be monitoring that radiator area for the next couple of days will be sure to carry a couple of gallons of water just encase.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Your coolant leak sounds like my brake leak. It leaks over night sometime, it leaks with the parking break on sometimes, it need leaks while I drive, and the wheel cylinder that's leaking is brand new as is the brake line. Who knows lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts