Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed a strange behavior of the tranny with O/D :(

When I cruise at around 70mph, when uphill or downhill, the rpm will change all of a sudden causing a shift that you can feel. This is not like this before, the rpm will lock at a constant value no matter uphill or downhill. So is anything wrong with the tranny or is it normal for the tranny to change gears at around 70mph? it's really uncomfortable when it contantly changing gears with all of those shifts...

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Hmmm. Well you have a 2000, so I would HOPE that your tranny is not failing (I have a 2000 as well!).

Whats the mileage like? Have you changed the fluid/filter lately and/or ever?

-Damon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I have a 2000 and about 110k on it.

As far as I know, I've regularly changed fluid/filter, the most recent one is a week ago and that doesn't help either:(

Is it going out?

J

·
0 Posts
So are you sure it's an actual shift? Because it may possibly be the torque converter... :unsure: Also, are you sure the correct type of fluid was used with the change (Mercon V)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just let the mech do the job and I think I asked them to use the Mercon V fluid.

But I'm not sure whether it's a real downshift or not, just the rpm changes in the range of one to two hundred when it shifts, so what's the symptom of a tq failure? is that serious?

Thanks very much!

J

·
0 Posts
Well, the RPM's will fluctuate like that when the tq converter locks/unlocks (normal). It sounds like that's where the problem lies... Mine will do this on occasion uphill, but I've never had it happen going down hill.. :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the insight!

Since mine will do this rather frequently, what do you think would be the problem? A tq problem or just simply a throttle position sensor problem? I don't have any other symptom of a throttle position sensor failure such as stalling or so.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Put the Climate Control in vent or floor and see if it still does it. If it stops then it is just normal Ford bad programming.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well..you said that when the rpms jump you can feel it "shift". My brother had his Tc start to be on its way out in his 92 Caravan, and it would shudder sometimes when the Tc disengaged or engaged. Then when his car overheated, it exacerbated the problem, and at that point it would slam when it finally tried to lock up. So it is possible that the Torque converter is goin, or, as SHO said, it could just be stupid ford stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Does he have EATC or the manual version of A/C?

The TC will cycle 200-400 rpm when the TC locks and unlocks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rayoflight

The mech probably had the battery disconneted and the computer is still relearning the driving cycles. I had this on mine and after a few days of driving, it will disappear, when the driving cycles are eventually relearned by the computer.
Try that, and if this won't solve it, disconnect the battery again for a few minutes and hook it back up. Then start the engine with no throttle and let it idle for a few minutes, then put it in Drive and let it idle again a few min, then turn on the A/C with being still in drive and let it idle a few minutes again, then put it in Neutral and let it idle with A/C still on and then start driving around town and then on the Hwy for about 20 miles, and if you go uphill, FLOOR it up to the speed limit and then keep cruising for awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts