Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 01 Taurus with 189K likes to throw me little issues to figure out. Lately I have noticed when I am turning into a driveway with an incline or bump while turning the ABS engages and the car does not want to stop. And no the wheel is not about to lock up at all. It is very odd and almost caused me to hit my mother in laws car...which except for the damage to my taurus would have been hilarious......Any ideas what could cause this? When braking under any other condition, it engages like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It could be the rear is i nthe air and you are braking which could then lock up the rear wheel making the ABS think you have locked up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You don't state that you're braking when this happens, which I suspect it the case.

If so:
Sharp turn would cause the inner wheel to turn much slower than the outer - ABS senses different wheel speeds which may be enough to cause it to react as if the slower wheel were locking up, Sharp 'enough' turn and with enough speed will cause weight transfer which will take weight off the inner wheel which would mean you're likely closer to locking than you think and ABS is responding. A bump will also take weight off the wheel on rebound - less weight on wheel will cause it to lose traction and trigger ABS. remedy: slow down before you make the turn.

If your foot is not on the brake when the ABS triggers, I have no idea.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't state that you're braking when this happens, which I suspect it the case.

If so:
Sharp turn would cause the inner wheel to turn much slower than the outer - ABS senses different wheel speeds which may be enough to cause it to react as if the slower wheel were locking up, Sharp 'enough' turn and with enough speed will cause weight transfer which will take weight off the inner wheel which would mean you're likely closer to locking than you think and ABS is responding. A bump will also take weight off the wheel on rebound - less weight on wheel will cause it to lose traction and trigger ABS. remedy: slow down before you make the turn.

If your foot is not on the brake when the ABS triggers, I have no idea.
I believe that is my issue at hand. However, what bothers me is that when the ABS triggers the car is hardly braking, which causes me to let off them hit them hard to avoid hitting either my curb in my space or the mother in laws car. So, the solution is to stop driving like a bat outta hell? lol damn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts