Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 2000 Sable Duratec, If I turn on the A/C or even to the defrost position the RPM's will rise about 200 rpm's, BUT, only intermittently and only at road speeds! It times out to about every 5 seconds, the rpm's will rise and I hear and feel a rubbing sound coming from the transmission area. Now the strange part, it only does this at speed, if idle in the driveway, no problems at all, A/C clutch operates fine and no noises, when I get to speed on the road the noise starts and I can feel the "Rubbing" through the gas pedal. It sounds like it comes from the front drivers side of the car, it's just a quick "Brrrp" and done. It coincides with the rise in rpm's. If I turn off the A/C or HVAC to off or floor the noise stops and no more rpm rise. Any ideas what this could be? I plan on scanning the codes to see if any pop up, but figured I would ask here also. Thanks for any ideas on this. This is my daily commute car, 80 miles daily round trip, and I don't want to kill the transmission or anything. Plus winter is coming and I will need the defroster. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Does the AC actually get and stay cold? It almost sounds like an overcharged/undercharged AC system cycling the compressor on and off because of a high/low pressure cutoff. When the compressor kicks on you will get about a 1-200rpm increase, then when it goes off it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
OK, I have a 2000 Sable Duratec, If I turn on the A/C or even to the defrost position the RPM's will rise about 200 rpm's, BUT, only intermittently and only at road speeds! It times out to about every 5 seconds, the rpm's will rise and I hear and feel a rubbing sound coming from the transmission area. Now the strange part, it only does this at speed, if idle in the driveway, no problems at all, A/C clutch operates fine and no noises, when I get to speed on the road the noise starts and I can feel the "Rubbing" through the gas pedal. It sounds like it comes from the front drivers side of the car, it's just a quick "Brrrp" and done. It coincides with the rise in rpm's. If I turn off the A/C or HVAC to off or floor the noise stops and no more rpm rise. Any ideas what this could be? I plan on scanning the codes to see if any pop up, but figured I would ask here also. Thanks for any ideas on this. This is my daily commute car, 80 miles daily round trip, and I don't want to kill the transmission or anything. Plus winter is coming and I will need the defroster. Thanks
For that feeling of throttle "Rubbing" in the gas pedal:

See attached pic. My cable worn most of the way through, '01 and'03.

Can't find a pic of fix, but I put old cotton glove over the rough elect connector and used a plastic tie. Fixed.

-chart-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The A/C stays .......

Cold never had a problem with that, possibly it is overcharged? I'll have my guy check the charge on it. as for the pedal, I only fell the rub when the RPM goes up for that second. It's like everything is normal except for that quick rise in RPM, I hear a noise, feel the rub in the pedal, RPM's go up then drop back down, then all is normal. Very strange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts