Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat of a strange problem with the A/C on my 2000 SE. A month ago, went from arctic air to hot air. Took it in and it was found to be a pound low on freon and my mechanic could detect no leaks (he did put dye in the system.) Was very arctic until today. Ran it for an hour on Max A/C and all of a sudden the A/C cut out and nothing but hot air. Shut the car down and went to dinner. Came out and started it again and the air was arctic for a 1/2 hour until it turned hot again. Stopped again, restarted and it did it again. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Is the clutch engaged and spinning when A/C starts to blow hot air?

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Cold and Hot

Somewhat of a strange problem with the A/C on my 2000 SE. A month ago, went from arctic air to hot air. Took it in and it was found to be a pound low on freon and my mechanic could detect no leaks (he did put dye in the system.) Was very arctic until today. Ran it for an hour on Max A/C and all of a sudden the A/C cut out and nothing but hot air. Shut the car down and went to dinner. Came out and started it again and the air was arctic for a 1/2 hour until it turned hot again. Stopped again, restarted and it did it again. Any ideas?
Consider that the drain may be not draining.

My '01 did that. I wound up taking the tire off, inner fender out, and using a length of quarter inch OD plastic tubing and running it up and around the bend of the drain and it began to drain out. If you stop and shut it off after cooling, then you should get a good sized drip drip out of it. Mine was doing maybe a drip of water a minute before.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Get the pressures checked again. There still may be a leak even if there was no sign last time. Also it's possible that the condenser is icing up and blocking airflow through it. When the car is shut down, the ice will melt allowing air flow through the evaporator next time the system is ran.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Got back from vacation (car sat for 12 days.) Ice cold air again. Drove from Columbus to Cleveland and had ice cold air. Car sat about 45 minutes, came out and started it again and had ice cold air all the way to Akron. Car sat an hour, came out and started it again with ice cold air. Drove down the street and made another stop. Came out and started it up and nothing but hot air. Drove it for 1/2 hour that way and made another stop. Car sat for 45 minutes, came out and started it and it was ice cold all the way home. Took it to my mechanic, he went over it. Saw some minor leakage on the compressor and the condensor but said that pressure was good and that the refrigerant level was full. Drain was clear. He could not get it to blow hot air. Last several days it has worked fine until tonight. It was running on max A/C for 5 minutes and all of a sudden it started blowing warm. I turned switch to A/C and it got cold again. This is getting frustrating as hell. I think that there is some sort of intermittent pressure problem . I notice quite a bit of condensation, so I don't think that it is freezing up. I guess that it will totally have to woof to ever find out what is going on. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
1) I would check (replace because fuses are cheap) the fuses first. If problem still persists, clean relay terminals.

2) When hot air was blowing, did you check if AC clutch was engaged? If compressor running + hot air, blender door problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts