Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can tear out my cats with out serious engine damage?

im stuck at work with melted cats, and my car is very crippled at the moment. i have all my tools, but i cant seem to find a straight answer on this forum. go ahead and cut the cats off and weld some pipes in place?

emissions are of no concern here.

i have a straight piped 440 1973 charger in the garage, sooooo

Any insight??

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (darkemp @ Jun 2 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808792

im stuck at work with melted cats, and my car is very crippled at the moment. i have all my tools, but i cant seem to find a straight answer on this forum. go ahead and cut the cats off and weld some pipes in place?

Any insight??[/b]
Your PCM will hate you, and lack of backpressure might lean out your cylinders beyond the capabilities of your 02 sensors and kill your motor. Wait for a second opinion, though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 2 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808798
QUOTE (darkemp @ Jun 2 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808792

Any insight??[/b]
Your PCM will hate you, and lack of backpressure might lean out your cylinders beyond the capabilities of your 02 sensors and kill your motor. Wait for a second opinion, though.
[/b][/quote]

thankkyou im waiting on FFVulcanPowah to read this...

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Straight pipe definetly leans out the PCM hard, my car back fires baaaaad, but don't think any damage will come of it, I'm tuning the car w xcal this week

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
My car, and my buddies 2000 vulcan ran fine with catless y-pipes. It threw codes for catalyst efficiency, but ran okay, otherwise. Once I got a tune, the codes were gone. On a stock tune with zero cats and various airflow mods, it said that my a/f mix was good, to almost rich.

Your results may vary, but your car won't blow up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 2 2010, 07:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808819
My car, and my buddies 2000 vulcan ran fine with catless y-pipes. It threw codes for catalyst efficiency, but ran okay, otherwise. Once I got a tune, the codes were gone. On a stock tune with zero cats and various airflow mods, it said that my a/f mix was good, to almost rich.

Your results may vary, but your car won't blow up.[/b]

Thankyou,

im just replacing the cats with pipe and running it to the resonator/muffler.

i think im just going to try and gut them first and see if this frees up my power and get rid of the rolling marbles in the exhaust.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update-

i drilled 2 small holes in the cats, and took a screwdriver thinking i would bust up some of the crap in the cat, there was nothing but small chunks allready so i just gave up because of time constraints, and i pretty much solved my issue

2 small holes fixed my clogged cats :D

no back fires either! lol

ohwell i will get to welding some pipes on when i have a day off. thank you guys for your help!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (darkemp @ Jun 2 2010, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808867
update-

i drilled 2 small holes in the cats, and took a screwdriver thinking i would bust up some of the crap in the cat, there was nothing but small chunks allready so i just gave up because of time constraints, and i pretty much solved my issue

ohwell i will get to welding some pipes on when i have a day off. thank you guys for your help![/b]
Be careful that the small chunks dont clog up your stock muffler.... it already sucks.... it doesnt need to suck more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 3 2010, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808905
QUOTE (darkemp @ Jun 2 2010, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808867
update-

ohwell i will get to welding some pipes on when i have a day off. thank you guys for your help![/b]
Be careful that the small chunks dont clog up your stock muffler.... it already sucks.... it doesnt need to suck more.
[/b][/quote]

hence why i feel better drilling holes in my cats and leaving them. they make a nice whiffle ball whistle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts