Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These wheels are not alike.

One from '01 and other from '03.

One is clear coat polished, other painted.

The center cap matches the painted one, and on the older one, that center cap matches that one. Not in the pic as both have paint matched caps.

Oh well, the polished one cost me $5 at pick a part with a good tire. $10 core charge, but that is just a 4 mile trip for the return.

At least it is not like my '96 Lincoln with directional wheels where they said to keep them on their respective sides of the car. Made no sense to me.

Happy wheeling.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
interesting.. i never knew that, but all the clear coat peeled bad on mine in new england.

if you guys remember my old sable i painted these wheels black and removed the center caps and the looked sweet resembled volk te37s i thought:

god i miss that car, and figure that if i had $1500 bucks then id still have it, it needed hood, rad, bumper and air bags but i was uncertain on where i was living at the time and just didnt have the money.... no one wanted it for $500 bucks because it got keyed on the pass side... it was the best sounded duratec ever.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
chartmarker. Ford changed the Sable wheels for 2003. Instead of polished aluminum, they had painted aluminum wheels, and a different style of polished wheel.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Polish vs Paint

chartmarker. Ford changed the Sable wheels for 2003. Instead of polished aluminum, they had painted aluminum wheels, and a different style of polished wheel.
So, now my '01 has 3 polished and 1 painted. (insurance replaced the one) I did not notice it till yesterday that it was different. Hey, I did not know my '01 had fog lights for 7 years, and then had to read the book to seel how to turn them on.:(

Now the '03 has 3 painted, 1 polished.

Trade time.:lol2:

-chart-

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wheel paint

interesting.. i never knew that, but all the clear coat peeled bad on mine in new england.

if you guys remember my old sable i painted these wheels black and removed the center caps and the looked sweet resembled volk te37s i thought:

god i miss that car, and figure that if i had $1500 bucks then id still have it, it needed hood, rad, bumper and air bags but i was uncertain on where i was living at the time and just didnt have the money.... no one wanted it for $500 bucks because it got keyed on the pass side... it was the best sounded duratec ever.
I added pic of my Lincoln wheel. Clearcoat was peeling and corrosion lookd really bad. I used paint remover to get the worst of the peeling off. Then the sander in the pic with 3M pad to remove the corrosion. Painted with Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating. I used masking tape around the rim, and a cardboard cutout to shield the tire. As you might see, I did not do the center area around the lugs.

The sander is an old B&D which I put a drill chuck on the threads so I can use if for other things. The right angle is much better than an electric drill.

NY winters are bad for clearcoat. Painted wheels do much, much, better.

Cheers

-chart-

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Before I upgraded to the 17" wheels for my 91' SHO, I had a set of 16" 2002 Sable wheels like this.

The outer flat spokes were polished while the rest was painted. As you can see, they also had a different center cap. These wheels were also found on some Taurus models from 2004-2007. Here's a shot of my SHO with the sable wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts