Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Sable GS Wagon. I'm looking at removal of the stock AM/FM Cassette radio , so I can install my own system. However (keep in mind that I have only owned this car since January), I've never own a vehicle in this yearly class. Most of my vehicles have been from the 1980's. The dash trim is held in with one screw at the top and a rivet type attachment at the bottom near the ashtray. The stock radio itself is a strange one, at least to me. It has two holes in the faceplate on each side. How on earth do I get this radio out?
Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestion.... I'm limited in time as the weather is cooling down quite rapidly here and I would love to get this done before the cold weather takes it's nasty grip.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I don't have a gen2 (gen2 = '92-'95) so I can't help you out with removing the radio, but I would like to say welcome to the TCCA! It's also nice to see someone join with good grammer and punctuation skills ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Those two holes on each side are to insert the ford radio removal tools.They look like a piece of wire in a u shape.You could pick the tool up at walmart or any car audio store.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If the gen2 is anything like the gen4 or 3, then all you should have to do is use the previously mentioned tools, or a coat hanger bent in the shape of a U. There are two clips that need to be bent outward from one-another (i think, maybe inward), and then just pull outward. I wouldn't think there would be any need to take the dash apart.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think gen 2 bulls dont have the integrated climate controls like gen 3 and gen 4.

·
Registered
746 Posts
welcome to the club!!

and i have found through my experience that the metra keys are way better than the scosche keys. you can get the metras at advanced

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
The radio and the climate controls are totally seperate in the g1 & g2 vehicles, so just stick the Ford DIN keys (that you can get at any autoparts store or Wal-mart) you should hear it click, push them the opposite way of eachother ( like this: < > ) then pull towards you as you do this. The radio should slide out, then you need to disconnect the wires, get a radio trim made for a Ford, stick your new radio in (you might have to wire your new radio into the reciever) and badabing bada boom! You've got it :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm located in a small community in the middle of the wilderness and there is a Ford dealer here in town. Would they have the tool required? We don't have a Walmart or specialized audio stores here :D

Thanks for the welcome too :lol2:

(Coming to you from Northern Ontario,Canada)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You can use a coat hanger, just bend it in the shape of a U that would fit the two prongs into those holes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. I'll try the dealership first. If the result is dismal, I'll try the coathanger idea. If all else fails, I have a sledgehammer :D

So far, the car runs well for 290,000km. I can tell it's been in a collision,sometime in it's history. I've done quite a bit of work on it so far, even though weather plays a serious factor as to when you can do anything :)
It's fully loaded, however, the rear door windows don't work. The front passenger window only works by the driver command. My guess is the driver command switches have either a burned out switch or some other glitch for the rear. The front passenger window, I have a feeling is the passenger control switch. Oh, and I have tested the lock switch as well :)
There isn't anything major with the car, just minor little quirks that I'm slowly getting around to.... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts