Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I have a 2002 Sable LS with electronic climate controls so changing the Head Unit is out of the question. I have seen others who have mounted them down near the ashtray or in the glove compartment.

Is it possible to mount one in the center console at a 90 degree angle?

And the bigger question...since the Head Units in our cars are just basically controllers for the RCU which is really the actual guts of the radio....would it be possible to use the stock head unit to control an aftermarket head unit instead of the RCU?

So you put the CD in the aftermarket HU in the console, then you can use the stock head unit to control volume, change tracks, etc etc.

So the sound quality would all be from the aftermarket unit, the stock unit would just be for the controls.

Just a crazy idea, I'm curious if its possible.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by pheenix11@Oct 14 2004, 08:34 AM
Is it possible to mount one in the center console at a 90 degree angle?
Yes, make sure the CD player you are looking at can be mounted at that angle, but it should work.

And the bigger question...since the Head Units in our cars are just basically controllers for the RCU which is really the actual guts of the radio....would it be possible to use the stock head unit to control an aftermarket head unit instead of the RCU?

So you put the CD in the aftermarket HU in the console, then you can use the stock head unit to control volume, change tracks, etc etc.

So the sound quality would all be from the aftermarket unit, the stock unit would just be for the controls.
I think it would be easier to tear out the factory head unit and build a custom faceplate to mount an aftermarket head unit with the electronic climate controls in place than it would be to do this.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree. If you know how to do any metalworking, you could probably fabricate a cool looking aluminum faceplate, but altering the controls like you said would be something that would take mAd electrical and computer engineering skills.

JR

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 14 2004, 10:17 AM
I agree. If you know how to do any metalworking, you could probably fabricate a cool looking aluminum faceplate, but altering the controls like you said would be something that would take mAd electrical and computer engineering skills.

JR
LOL that leaves me out :blink:

Maybe I should just stick with my plan. I'm in the process of installing a David Navone Line Out Converter so I can use my Stock Head Unit with a couple amps and some new speakers.

My wife has a 2002 Taurus SES with Rotary Climate controls (and a cd player)...part of me wants to swap cars with her so I can get an aftermarket head unit. The other part wants to make a go at it with the LOC's and see how good I can get it to sound.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
LOCs are a good solution, but nothing compares to a good aftermarket head unit: better sound quality, more control, and nifty colors ;) .

If you are willing to cut into your dash, you could mount it under the climate controls and above the ash tray...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey is there anyone here who has put an aftermarket head unit in a Gen 4 with electronic controls? I saw one Gen 3 that had it under the steering wheel but it seems so curved down there I don't know how I could do that. I saw a couple others who had it under the stock radio in that curved area where the ashtray is but Gen 4's are a lot different in that spot.

Anyone remove the cigarette lighter next to the cubby? Would it still be too small height wise?

I've seen pics of Gen 3 custom jobs, any for Gen 4? I know I could put it in the center console, but that would be annoying for adjusting the volume. I mostly listen to Sirius and plays cds just once in a while so I could deal with not being able to skip to the next track so easily...but I need quick access to the volume.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by pheenix11@Oct 19 2004, 12:21 PM
Hey is there anyone here who has put an aftermarket head unit in a Gen 4 with electronic controls? I saw one Gen 3 that had it under the steering wheel but it seems so curved down there I don't know how I could do that. I saw a couple others who had it under the stock radio in that curved area where the ashtray is but Gen 4's are a lot different in that spot.
That would be me- I used to have my cd player under the dash and Im 6'1. I had plenty of space to move around even with the player there. Changing cds were ackward, but other than that, it didn't impare my driving or my leg room -never even banged my knees on it. I had a remote, though, too. Without that, I wouldn't have put it there. changing tracks would be a pain.

Z

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the pics of yours and its a pretty good idea. I don't have the skills to start chopping up the dash in near the ashtray. I'm afraid I'd screw it up forever LOL.

Gen 3 & 4 seem similar in regards to that curved panel under the steering wheel, how did you get it attached to that damn thing?

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts