Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I'll soon be replacing the factory 6.5's in the front doors. I'll be using these American Bass SQ6 6.5" 300W Max Midrange Speaker their mounting depth is 2.4". Is that too deep? I'd like to know how much fabrication I need to do in advance. Not wanting to glass the doors.... yet :D Any input?
You should be more than OK with a 2.4" mounting depth. Just as a note though, even though the grille in the door is round the factory speakers are actually 6"x8"s. Not a problem, just make sure to grab some adapter plates. If you have the skills though, a custom MDF baffle and some sound deadening to seal up the door will get you much better sound quality.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even the front door is a 6x8? Hmmmm. Sneaky! The sound deadening really isnt neccessary. That is a closed basket driver. Hence why they get so dang loud! Will be doing 75sq feet of audiotechnix and a gallon of edead v3, later on in the fall. I have enough 1/4 in MDF laying around to do plates easy. Now what is this im reading about all the wiring going to the trunk in these cars? It would be quite easy then to jump those wires to my amp if thats the case.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Even the front door is a 6x8? Hmmmm. Sneaky! The sound deadening really isnt neccessary. That is a closed basket driver. Hence why they get so dang loud! Will be doing 75sq feet of audiotechnix and a gallon of edead v3, later on in the fall. I have enough 1/4 in MDF laying around to do plates easy. Now what is this im reading about all the wiring going to the trunk in these cars? It would be quite easy then to jump those wires to my amp if thats the case.
I'd still sandwich some deadening material between the baffle and the door as well as between the basket and the baffle. These doors resonate horribly.

The radio is behind the trunk panel on the driver side fender well. The radio in the dash is nothing more than a control panel. Easy to tie into. Even better though, I've found a way to add pre-amp outputs. I'll have the how-to posted in a couple of days. I've also got a few units that are already modified about to go up for sale in the classifieds.

Check out this thread:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...isual/165625-stock-rcu-w-pre-amp-outputs.html

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Errrr I'll pass. Is there anything labeling the wires? I'd like to tap into them for my amp. So when you put an aftermarket HU in the car. Are the speakers running off the HU, or off the same "radio"? I'll be amping all of the speakers in the car. And Would like to tie into it all in th back.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Is there anything labeling the wires? I'd like to tap into them for my amp. So when you put an aftermarket HU in the car. Are the speakers running off the HU, or off the same "radio"? I'll be amping all of the speakers in the car. And Would like to tie into it all in th back.
The install kits for aftermarket decks include a wiring harness that runs from the dash and plugs into the connector going into the RCU in the trunk, bypassing it.

The wiring diagram can found in the wiki on this site. It's listed as being for an '02, but will work for your car. Everything you need to tap into is in the trunk.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful. The metra kit for the car is just the mounting plate and climate controls correct? The then the additional 25$ wiring kit. Is the Long string of wires going to the back? Gives me and excuse to run 2 runs of 1/0!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Most of the kits, including the Metra, include the wiring harness. Yes though, it does go to the trunk. If you're just going to tap into a speaker level signal, everything you need is in the trunk.

If you are actually running enough power to need dual 1/0 wire runs, I hope your plans/budget include a high output alternator and a big 3 upgrade. ;) Even run all the way from the battery to the trunk, a single 1/0 line is good for at least 250 amps. The stock alternator doesn't even put out half of that and the under-hood wiring is nowhere near 1/0.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You better belive it will. I will also be adding a run or 2 of 2/0 welding cable and a ground run from front to back. I actually did the "big 4". Meaning alt to batt. battery to chassis, battery to engine, and alt case to chassis. A 200a excessive amperage alt (175 amps clamped at 800 rpms ftw?) set to 15.0v. And as I'm a dealer for Juicebox batteries (XS batteries with different colored cases and stickers) I'll be doing a group 27 under the hood. And 4 group 31's in the trunk . Plan to be running 7k rms to 2 15's. And at least 1k rms to the mids and highs by late next year. Trust me. Audio is one thing I dont need help on. The car specifics is what I dont know :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wont be tapping into a speaker level signal btw. I just want to use the stock wiring into the front doors for my mids. I'd be tapping into them were they come out of the "brain" Then running them to an amp and paralleling the rear deck left with the front left doors. Bridging that across the front channels of my amp. And vice versa on the the passenger side with the rear channels. Maintaining the left and right channels. And getting the most clean power from the amp.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
8k watts RMS??? Wow!!! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of sub drivers will you be running?

Good luck on the project. I hope you didn't take any offense to my suggestions. My 900 watt RMS SQ system is towards the extreme end around these parts. I've seen a lot of people do things like trying to run 1k RMS amps off of 10 gauge wire, then wonder why they have blown fuses, dimming lights and dead alternators.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha. None taken. Its a new forum for me. I cant expect you to know me. 8k rms. Which in the real world will end up as much less. The sub Drivers will be American Bass HD's. I'll be sure to do a build log. My last setup was 2 American Bass XFL 12's out of a trunk in my old sunfire on 2.5k rms. It did a 149.1 driver door open on an audiocontrol meter. Never got a chance to do proper TL testing. Hoping to crank out a 52+ legal sealed on the dash with a TL with this setup. Doesnt help that I'll be tuning to 30hz. Which being in a trunk will drop tuning to like 27. :D Lowssss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts