Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to be replacing the standard battery with a Group 31 Yellowtop. Will for sure be removing the factory tray and fabricating a new one. But has anybody done this before? I can do it, just input wouldnt be minded.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I've never used a Group 31 Yellow Top, but I have a Group 34 Yellow Top in my 2000. It fit in the factory tray with no issues other than the terminals being the reverse of the stock battery. I did a Big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge wire when I installed it so the terminals being reversed wasn't an issue. The reserve capacity isn't quite as much as a Group 31, but it is still a huge improvement over a factory type battery. Combined with a 5 farad capacitor and 0 gauge wire runs for power and ground, I had minimal voltage drop even when running 2000 watts RMS. You might want to consider the Group 34 Yellow Top to save the hassle and some money. If you do install a Group 31 though, I'd like to see how you make it work. Being that it is only taller and longer, I wonder if you could just trim the factory tray to get it in there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used a Group 31 Yellow Top, but I have a Group 34 Yellow Top in my 2000. It fit in the factory tray with no issues other than the terminals being the reverse of the stock battery. I did a Big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge wire when I installed it so the terminals being reversed wasn't an issue. The reserve capacity isn't quite as much as a Group 31, but it is still a huge improvement over a factory type battery. Combined with a 5 farad capacitor and 0 gauge wire runs for power and ground, I had minimal voltage drop even when running 2000 watts RMS. You might want to consider the Group 34 Yellow Top to save the hassle and some money. If you do install a Group 31 though, I'd like to see how you make it work. Being that it is only taller and longer, I wonder if you could just trim the factory tray to get it in there.
If you bought your 34 at an auto parts store, then I did save quite a bit of money over you. As a dealer for a battery supply company I paid cost for the 31. Width and length wise will be no issue. The battery tray, being all raised with those ridges is the only problem. Figuring that I'll just take it out and make a new low one, and I should eb able to drop it in. Being that the 31 is purely a top post, i can simply rotate it to match factory wires. Big 4 is also on my to do list. Just have been too lazy to cut and solder 1/0 lately. Though I should prolly take care of it before the michigan winter kicks in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts