Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be getting a 1993 Taurus LX here in a week or so, and I wanna start learning as much about them as possible (b/c I'm that type of guy). I am very fimililar with the truck world, but am "new to cars." So, could y'all help me out with just the usuals: hp, torque, tranny, quirks or "Things to watch out for," anything like that. Thanks for ANY info you can help with.

--Ryan

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 3.8L V6 has 140hp and 215tq a.k.a. the "Essex"
The 3.0L V6 has 140hp and 160tq a.k.a. the "Vulcan"
The Vulcan is an excellent engine while the Essex has had it's fair share of problems mainly the headgaskets. The trannys in these cars aren't the greatest and are prone to failure. Other than that, they're pretty good cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I will have the LX I should have the 3.8L right? Or am I wrong in thinking this? Thanks for the info also 1989LX.

--Ryan

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
not neccesarrily. LX's came with 3.0's too. however, I remember reading that 1993 was the most popular year for the 3.8L.

Statistically the 3.0L is more durable, but its pretty weak if you ask me (I've owned two vulcan tauri).. The 3.8L is a whole different car. My '95 has the 3.8L and I love it.. Though headgaskets are going, which excites me because I get to replace the heads with some ported mustang heads

Plus you have so many options for aftermarket parts for the 3.8L (because it shares a lot with the 3.8L mustang, and you can even bolt up the 3.8L supercharged top end if you wanted (a few have done it around here)

As far as transaxles go, you should be ok if you flush the trans fluid and change the filter regularly. As well as install an auxillary trans cooler. Shift kit or reprogrammed computer chip will help it last too because it gets rid of the slippery shifts that cause the clutches to wear out. I use AMSOIL ATF, which has a lot better properties than regular non-synthetic ATF..

Jeramie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man... .What company makes a shift kit for the Taurus? how expensive? what's the install like? Also, what sites would you suggest for aftermarket parts for the 3.8??

Sorry, I'm ignorant on this. Ask me anything you want about the Explorers, Rangers, or BroncoII's and I can answer you though. lol.

--Ryan

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
shift kits are kind of a PITA to install, but they can be had for around $35 or so. Go to www.bulkpart.com for the best price on a Trans-go shift kit..

www.supersixmotorsports.com

www.rpm-mustangs.com

www.morana.com

I like supersix, and that's who I will most likely get my heads/cam from..

If you read in the Engine/Drivetrain forum, you'll see that I am pioneering going with a 4.3L stroker for my engine.. Its never been done in a FWD car yet!

Should be able to hit 300hp without a problem!

Jeramie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, thanks a lot! That was a huge help.

--Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
one nice thing about the LX is that is has a RPM. You can feel the 210tq on take with the 3.8. My friend has a 91 sable wagon, and it just feels fast, even thought it is not.
Easy the to chirp the tires

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Lifted94XLT@Apr 14 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks man... .What company makes a shift kit for the Taurus? how expensive? what's the install like?  Also, what sites would you suggest for aftermarket parts for the 3.8??

Sorry, I'm ignorant on this. Ask me anything you want about the Explorers, Rangers, or BroncoII's and I can answer you though. lol.

--Ryan
You might have some competition on the 1/4 ton Ford truck knowledge.

Great to see another Explorer owner getting a Taurus!
We have much in common, even if you have those goofy radius arms on your truck.

Just like your first generation Explorer, the Taurus has gone through generations. There are a total of 4 (Or 4.5).

1986-1991 - First Gen
1992-1995 - Second Gen
1996-1999 - Third Gen
2000-Present - Fourth Gen

I think I got the first two right. Either way, you will be getting a 2nd Gen. Seen by many as the best of the 4. I like my Gen IV the best, but we all have our preferences. Good luck with the car, and find out which motor is in there.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Typically, the LXs have the 3.8L. Although it only has 140HP, the 215 ft. lbs. of torque definitely make up for that. And remember, it's the torque that gets ya going.

If you maintain the car well, regular oil and fluid changes, you'll pretty much be set. And with the 3.8L, make sure you change the coolant each year, if not sooner. (That is coming directly from a Ford Technician who owned a 1993 Ford Taurus LX with the 3.8L)

And honestly, I've become more of a do-it-yourself guy now since I've owned my Taurus. And that's a good thing for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And honestly, I've become more of a do-it-yourself guy now since I've owned my Taurus. And that's a good thing for me. [/b]
I've always been a do it yourself guy. I love working on vehicles.

Great to see another Explorer owner getting a Taurus!  We have much in common, even if you have those goofy radius arms on your truck.[/b]
Gimme some specs on your X. Year? Engine? Lifted?
Lowered? What?

Also, I REALLY hope that it is an LX (I'm just goin from memory), b/c I'd feel pretty dumb if it ended up not being one. haha

--Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Some GL's came with 3.8l's too, so it doesn't hurt to know the Essex
. Also, watch out for GL's that have dual exhausts and a little slit under the Ford logo in the front bumper w/ a 3.8l engine...Those are the coveted Police Package Tauruses

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Lifted94XLT@Apr 15 2004, 11:21 PM
And honestly, I've become more of a do-it-yourself guy now since I've owned my Taurus. And that's a good thing for me. 
I've always been a do it yourself guy. I love working on vehicles.

Great to see another Explorer owner getting a Taurus!  We have much in common, even if you have those goofy radius arms on your truck.[/b]
Gimme some specs on your X. Year? Engine? Lifted?
Lowered? What?

Also, I REALLY hope that it is an LX (I'm just goin from memory), b/c I'd feel pretty dumb if it ended up not being one. haha

--Ryan [/b][/quote]
Read the sig.
It's a 2000 Red XLT with the 4.0 SOHC engine. Stock height, although that might change when it's time to change the shocks. I have the towing package with 4.10 gears, so it hauls for an SUV. I love the thing. 128,000 miles and still going on the stock drivetrain. The 5R automatic is great, and these Cologne 4.0s are tanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oops, missed the sig.. That's cool... Mine's made to go slow. so its SLOW, and get's Crappy gas mileage. haha.

I'll let everyody know what I end up findin out about the Taurus (I feel like a dumba** not bieng sure what it is
)

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by cjones450@Apr 15 2004, 11:53 PM
I must be an oddball than, My LX has the "Vulcan" 3.0
rare not odd, the vulcan is a also rare on sables. but LX cars cars have the 3.0 or 3.8. I don't know whitch year it was but ford made it standard for LX wagons to have the 3.8

1 - 16 of 16 Posts