Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the Taurus Gurus!! OK, I have an 01 SEL with almost new Motorcraft springs, struts, ball joints, end links. There's hardly any miles on these parts and I am plagued with a quiet clonkity clonk hollow sound at parking lot speeds which are not related to steering or braking. It started maybe 1000 miles after all those new parts. It is most noticable at very low speed over tiny bumps. Car drives very well and everything feels tight. Passed mechanical inspection 2 months ago. The car is factory original besides the above, so there are some areas of suspicion such as outer tie rod ends or even motor mounts or subframe mounts. I don't want to throw money at it, so any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Clunk

I need the Taurus Gurus!! OK, I have an 01 SEL with almost new Motorcraft springs, struts, ball joints, end links. There's hardly any miles on these parts and I am plagued with a quiet clonkity clonk hollow sound at parking lot speeds which are not related to steering or braking. It started maybe 1000 miles after all those new parts. It is most noticable at very low speed over tiny bumps. Car drives very well and everything feels tight. Passed mechanical inspection 2 months ago. The car is factory original besides the above, so there are some areas of suspicion such as outer tie rod ends or even motor mounts or subframe mounts. I don't want to throw money at it, so any suggestions?
Check the sway bar mounts. Rubber guys with a metal strap around them.

Kind of a sleeper cause of that kind of noise. Fronts and backs do that. Parts are not expensive, not hard to install.

And as a side note, new parts are not always good. Especially end links. Hard to check. To check you would have to remove one end of one link to be sure there is no stress on them, Then check for any slack.

Does it thump with the brakes on lightly. That preloads the lower ball joint and other lower A frame parts and reduces the likelhood thay would thump. The sway bar bushings are not effected by braking.

Good Luck.

-chart-

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would check to make sure the mounting bolts on those end links or the upper strut mount haven't come loose. Sub fram bushings and tie rod ends are another place to check.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
toronut. I'm taking my car into a shop in a couple of weeks...guy did the best dang alignment I've ever had on my car a few years ago. He said he'll check it out. Only two items left for me to replace are lower control arm bushings and the wheel bearing.

Ford welded the brackets to the bar, so you can't even replace the bushings on a Gen 4.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am probably in for a big surprise if a reputable shop finds the cause of the wretched noise. Yes, new parts sometimes are duds, bad batch of struts etc. I just hope it's not a cracked subframe or similar expensive fix.

·
Registered
328 Posts
YouTube - ‪scooter12368's Channel‬‏

could still be the end link, way to check, see the link i created above. it fixed my problem without buying the part until i was sure. if you have no noise going over speed bump, then it may point to link, because there is contant pressure on the link, but uneven road surfaces would create sound when going over them b/ there lacks constant pressure.

scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
That clunk is gone!

I have a 2003 Taurus that had the front end clunk.The sound was at low speeds and normal driving and more so in colder weather.The sound started when I changed the front struts with quick struts(the ones with new springs and top mount plate). After looking at the old struts that came out I noticed the top plate was slightly different . The contact spots where the plate touched the strut tower were different. Thinking this was maybe bouncing or vibrating somewhat when hitting small bumps and over gravel roads. So here's what I did, I had some old tool box draw liner the kind that's solid. I took and cut out a piece that fit over the new bearing plate of the strut. Cut a hole for the jam nut on top and three small holes for the bolts that hold the strut to the tower. I did this for each side and added a second piece of draw liner to each side for more cushion. when I got the new struts back in, with the liners in place the car sounded and felt like new.:rolleyes2: I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
FYI: you can replace the sway bar bushings. Cut off the welded mount/bushing and use the Gen3 mounts.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I have a 2003 Taurus that had the front end clunk.The sound was at low speeds and normal driving and more so in colder weather.The sound started when I changed the front struts with quick struts(the ones with new springs and top mount plate). After looking at the old struts that came out I noticed the top plate was slightly different . The contact spots where the plate touched the strut tower were different. Thinking this was maybe bouncing or vibrating somewhat when hitting small bumps and over gravel roads. So here's what I did, I had some old tool box draw liner the kind that's solid. I took and cut out a piece that fit over the new bearing plate of the strut. Cut a hole for the jam nut on top and three small holes for the bolts that hold the strut to the tower. I did this for each side and added a second piece of draw liner to each side for more cushion. when I got the new struts back in, with the liners in place the car sounded and felt like new.:rolleyes2: I hope this helps.
So to counteract the crappy strut mount/bearing design by Monroe (whomever), a couple of old drawer liners can fix it? That's an awesome fix. Good work!

For whatever reason, the Gen 1/2 suspension whenever it's all fixed up and fresh feels much more solid and acts quieter than the 3/4 when new.

I still have a very very very faint knocking sound from the front end of my car when driving to my shop in the back 40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts