Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks i'm anew member from New Zealand. Got a problem with steering going stiff from time to time. normally if its on left or right lock like a tight turn it seems to lose the power assist . Could this be a sign that steering pump is on the way out. I have a 96 GL with Duratech.
Would apprecitae hearing from those of you that may have had similar problems.
By the way I think the club is great. wish I had known about it earlier.
Have included a pic of right hand drive version Bull.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Do your power windows and radio stop working. if so, then it sounds like your transmission range sensor is not working right.

Let us know more info.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Adam, Thanks for prompt reply, no, power windows and radio work fine.
sometimes when leaving a car park after work it requires a few tight turns to get out and thats when it happens most often. I had recently changed plugs due to misfiring problems and it when it was misfiring the steering felt a bit heavy and I put it down to low revs not operating the drive belt /steering pump sufficiently.
It seems Ok on a trip just the tight turns seem to make it stiffen up. Its starting to worry me a bit. Are there any grease points in the suspension/steering that an owner can lube ?. (like the old days).
Cheers Kevin

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ollie, some people experience significant improvement in steering responsiveness, when they use synthetic ATF in their power steering unit. I did not notice any difference on my 2000 Taurus, but I switched to Amsoil synthetic ATF to ensure I have no problems. Power steering is more complicated, and I might add expensive to service, than many people realize. Simple preventive maintenance goes a long way to save you a lot of money and frustration, in the long-run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts