Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im having this issue intermittently. Definitely the throttle or cruise cable given if I kick the pedal enough the car will stop driving itself and start slowing down. Any common spots where it may be binding? And what is acceptable lubricant for one of these cables?

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
May check/lube under the black plastic snow shield to the left of the throttle body. 1 of my '98's got frayed there.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Look for fraying in the throttle cable right where it exits the sleeve.

Maybe even pull the cable out a bit.

If this is the case = new throttle cable time or plan on going nowhere at the worst possible time when she snaps. Only saying it because it has happened to me.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I looked everything over, both cables are securely connected, nothing is frayed. I sprayed some WD on the arm for the throttle body and it seems to move back and forth with no issues. But I'm still having the relatively random throttle hang where it gets stuck only slightly open so the car drives itself. Gas pedal maybe? This car has been sitting for at least 4 years, so maybe I'm just overlooking something simple.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Search for fraying in the choke link right where it leaves the sleeve. Perhaps haul the link out a piece.

If so new choke link time or plan on going no place at the absolute worst time when she snaps. Just saying it since it has happened to me.
Who are you? Bizzaro-Zen?

Ice- Did you look INSIDE the TB? maybe needs a cleaning off of some deposit?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who are you? Bizzaro-Zen?

Ice- Did you look INSIDE the TB? maybe needs a cleaning off of some deposit?
That's super weird how he just copied your post exactly, lol. And I peered in there, didn't seem too nasty but I'll try cleaning it. Also I noticed the piece where the cable bolts to the arm isn't exactly flush, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Automender means is this:

The third gen cable attaches differently, the plastic clips on over the top instead of from the front like that, I had to actually try to pop it off, so it's not that. I'm gonna try cleaning the TB, I just haven't had the right spray. Can't think of anything else it could be at this point, If I actuate the throttle from either end manually it feels nice and smooth. Could also be a sticky IAC too I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts