Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket stereo that worked for years with no problems. Recently I noticed that the unit power cycles itself when I tap the brake pedal when the engine is off. In fact, today it powercycled once with engine on as well, but car was in park when I taped the brake pedal. What's going on? Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.. nasty stuff. Today I noticed that dome lights blink when I tap the brake pedal when the engine is off. I guess I would have to trace the whole brake light circuit, the wires, and connectors, lamps, and fuses to see what's going on.. something is probably shorting.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Ground problem.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
When you tap it, it's a quick press-and-release, right? What happens if you just hold the brake pedal down?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think today I might have finally figured out what's going on. When I removed the factory RCU from the trunk a few weeks ago, I also disconnected the black ground wire from the left fender wall because I thought that it was only grounding the factory RCU. After someone mentioned that my stereo is having problems due to bad grounding, it struck me suddenly that this black wire was probably grounding the head unit too! (Can someone confirm this please? Where IS the head unit supposed to be grounded? I see a wire that's marked as ground wire on the harness, but I have no idea where it connects on the other end). Anyways, it seems like ALL electrical issues stopped after this. I keep fingers crossed hoping that this problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you tap it, it's a quick press-and-release, right? What happens if you just hold the brake pedal down?
Well, at first things would just blink (dome light, stereo, etc), but yesterday, stereo started going nuts as long as the pedal is pressed. I hope I got it fixed now (see the previous post).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts