Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a Schosche stereo kit from crutchfield, and plan on installing my new JVC stereo in there. Well, I am not going to install it, a friend is......he wanted to know one question, should he intergrate the amp, or bypass it when installing the stereo? I called up the crutchfield guys today but they were of no help, so thought I'd put it here. I dont know if this makes a difference, but my car doesn't have the MACH audio system, and comes with a floor console.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Assuming that you have a Gen III from your profile, the factory unit is in the trunk on the driver's side, just above the wheel well. All you have to do is connect the wiring harness that came with your install kit (really long green, purple, etc. wires) to the harness on the back of the CD player. Then run those long wires all the way back to the trunk and plug them into the unit there. You'll have to do the same thing with your antenna adapter. To make running the wires easier, I taped them all together about every foot so they wouldn't get separated.

If you don't want to connect them to the unit in the trunk, you can just bypass it and run each individual set of wires to each speaker, but that's a much longer process. I would just use the adapter and run the wires to the trunk since you have to run the antenna wire that way anyway.

One more thing, once you get everything installed, the lights on your climate controls might not work. To fix that, give them a new ground connection. If that still didn't work, run a new illumination wire from the parking lights for them.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@Aug 25 2004, 04:24 PM
Assuming that you have a Gen III from your profile, the factory unit is in the trunk on the driver's side, just above the wheel well. All you have to do is connect the wiring harness that came with your install kit (really long green, purple, etc. wires) to the harness on the back of the CD player. Then run those long wires all the way back to the trunk and plug them into the unit there. You'll have to do the same thing with your antenna adapter. To make running the wires easier, I taped them all together about every foot so they wouldn't get separated.

If you don't want to connect them to the unit in the trunk, you can just bypass it and run each individual set of wires to each speaker, but that's a much longer process. I would just use the adapter and run the wires to the trunk since you have to run the antenna wire that way anyway.

One more thing, once you get everything installed, the lights on your climate controls might not work. To fix that, give them a new ground connection. If that still didn't work, run a new illumination wire from the parking lights for them.
Just a few clarifications:

1) You do want to bypass the factory amp for two reasons: a ) the factory amp won't, AFAIK, accept an amped signal coming in (which your new HU will be producing) b ) your aftermarket unit will produce a cleaner signal than the factory hardware, so you want to bypass it as much as possible. To do this, connect the supplied harness to the speaker harness that connects to the RCU - you shouldn't be connecting anything to the RCU, only disconnecting the factory speaker harness.

2) With the schoshe kit, it your climate control lights don't work, you can run a line down the cigarette lighter and connect to one of the three lines there (not sure what color off the top of my head, use a dmm). This is closer than the parking lights.

edited to remove smilies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the comments.....unfortunately I don't know much of what your'e talking about, but it did help my friend. Now he's gonna teach me how to install the stereo :)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by rvk2@Aug 25 2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys for the comments.....unfortunately I don't know much of what your'e talking about, but it did help my friend. Now he's gonna teach me how to install the stereo :)
good, i'm glad you want to learn..always a good thing :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Just to provide some additional clarification, the factory amp is there to amplify the factory head unit. The factory head unit is basically just a face plate. There are relatively no electronics in it, as the factory amp in the trunk is the actual brains of the system. As Golovko said, you want the factory stuff gone if you're putting an aftermarket head unit in there, since the aftermarket stuff will supply a greater wattage anyway.

JR

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't know if the Gen3 has this problem but I with know my Gen4, getting new speaker wire in the front left door is damn-near impossible (although a few around here have done it). You can tap the original speaker wires which are, unfortunately, a really small gauge. Sooner or later I will get new speaker wire into the doors. Just not on the highest of my priorities at the moment.

Because I have amps in my car, I have completely by-passed the RCU. Nothing is plugged in to it right now.

Derek

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey, i got my stereo working....i ran the wire through the amp -> side panels -> back of HU.....the problem is that my climate control lights are always on. I think my friend hooked it up to the cig lighter.....I was wondering if I can connect it to one of the red wires, which is a switch wire. This way the climate control lights turn on only when the stereo is on.......OR how can I make it so that the climate control lights turn on with the lights on the dashboard? Also, I might have to do some filing to remove a small metal piece of the frame b/c it bumps into the back of one of the knobs. Anyone here have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I had to remove about a 1/4" of the dashboard material on the lower left corner. There is a screw there holding the dash to the metal. I took the trusty dremel and cut some of the plastic away. Thing fit perfect after that.

I also can't get my climate control lights to turn off. I am assuming that I have to run the orange wire that says "Illumination" to somewhere, but the crappy Scoche directions tell you nothing...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You need to hook the wire from the kit up to an illumination wire that dims with the gauges. There is one that goes to light for the cigarette lighter, use a dmm to test for which one it is. This is what I have mine hooked up to and it only comes on when I turn on my lights and it dims with everything else.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did this same thing in my car about 3 days ago. I used the Scoche kit too and have had no problems with it as of yet. I left the factory amp inline, and the audio is cleaner than ever. For my install(Pioneer HU), it was just a matter of matching colors and stripes. I have had no problem with the dash lights being on. Your head/parking lights werent on when you noticed this problem, were they?
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, those lights weren't out....if I recall correctly, we had the battery removed when putting in the wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the Scosche kit to my '99 Taurus today and everything went very smoothly. One question for you guys, though--where should I attach the yellow (battery constant +12v) and the black (chassis ground) leads at the trunk end of the 18ft cable to? They're obviously set up for simple push connections, and I know I can just splice them into one of the hot and ground wires I'm sure I could find back there, but isn't there a cleaner way to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help with this :dunno: .
Vin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to leave the factory stereo and amp in my 1996 Ford Taurus gl and hook up another amp? I'm installing all different speakers and want to beef up the amps. I just can't figure out how to leave the factory brains in the car and hook up another amp together and make it work. Please help me out with wiring diagram, or a complete how to. Thx,

·
Registered
7 Posts
i by passed the factory HU and amp, but i grabbed my constant, ground and switch wires from the a/c wires and now the illumination on the factory HU wont turn on and my a/c doesnt work. Everytime i turn on the car the front defrost turns on but wont turn off and no cold air blownin... I cant even change where the air blows from..... help? please?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If I were doing this, I would run RCA cables from the head unit to the amp location, and install an aftermarket amp. Then I would run an adapter from the stock speaker wires to the amp. Not the cheapest solution, but the stock speaker wires are good enough for most systems. You would only need a 200 - 300 watt 4 channel amp.

Thats just me however, running all new wires would be time consuming, but it is cheaper. However the amp inside the head unit is limited, and for that reason alone, I wouldn't expect it to sound much better than a stock system.

The setup in my car I choose cause I like everything to look factory. I had the Mach RCU and I have the factory HU, so what I did was purchased an iPod adapter and hooked in the wiring for that. I also replaced the front door speakers with Kenwood Excelons. The result is quite impressive. It puts out all the sound I need, and it actually blows away the 600 watt sound system in my van.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts