Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 se. I bought a common aftermarket head unit for the purpose of being able to integrate my iPod into my car. Despite my fervent searching, I have not been able to find any exceedingly clear instruction re wiring the car up. As I said, I have the kit, and I am fairly certain that I need to be wiring the loose ends into the new head unit connections for the speakers.

However, I have some questions that I cannot find answers to, and I hope that some of you can give me some help.

First, the kit wiring harness appears to only connect to the left-most connection when that connection is removed from the tuner in the trunk. Is that not then source of the wiring that I disconnected from the old unit? Furthermore, is that all that needs to be done there is connect the two harnesses and then move on to wiring the speaker connection etc. in the dash?

Second, I was reading on the forums that basically the tuner will basically no longer function, and so nothing will run through it and nothing need be connected to it any longer?

Third, back to thenkit harness, although the speaker wires run the lenth of the car, the power and ground wires are only six inches long out of the a harness. To where, if anywhere, should I be attaching those. I expected them to run the length of the car as well, and this is where the instructions with the kit should be more clear...to be frank the kit instructions are pure garbage.

I think that's all for thenrear of the car, now to the dash.

I have been looking for some desription re the wiring that I disconnected from the old unit so that I can determine which wires i need to find to tap into the power since the power wire from the new kit does not run the length of the car.

Provided I can find answers somewhere, I am usually quite confident with anything I do on my car, but this is the first time I have not been able to find any real clear guidance. All that I have found online is stuff that touches the matter very shallowly...something like, "plug the new harness in the trunk, run the wires, and wire the new unit". I need something more specific.

Thanks, and I apologize for any typos...I am on my iPad.

Spy

·
Registered
294 Posts
"plug the new harness in the trunk, run the wires, and wire the new unit"...

thats it... it should come with long purple and green and white and other pale colored wires with a harness on the end. that harness plugs into the rcu in the trunk. you take out the old plug, leave it dangling, and plug the new one in its place. run the wires to the front behind the dash where the radio will sit. those are your speaker wires. your head unit should then just match color to color with the wires. it basically connects 2 parts, the speaker wires are one part, and the functions and power are the other part. if you didnt have that new harness, it would turn on and such, but not play and music. The other wires should already be behind the radio, the red, orange, yellow, black, and so forth. just splice together and ur good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I assumed as much, but had hoped for confirmation before i endeavored to wire everything up to take a trial and error approach.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
its not really trial and error when the harness is color coded.... Match the colors its simple really.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yup pretty simple run the wires to the radio unit on the drivers side. also be careful with the dash kit if you bought a cheap one it will break really easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts