Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained an AM/FM Stereo with single CD player (Manual Temp Controls) so that I could install it into my 2003 Merc Sable (which has a casstte player). Everything went together just fine. All the temp controls worked as they should. However the radio/CD would not even power up. I'm wondering if there is a different pinout for the stereo connector between the 2001 Taurus and 2003 Sable. If there is, where can I find an adapter?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No, the stereo itself uses the same harness and wiring. Normally swapping the control panel on the G4s you'd run into problems with the HVAC harness rather than the radio.

Not to discount the obvious, but you did push on the volume knob to turn it on, right? Is the clock displaying? Did you check the fuse?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The clock would not display, and yes, I did push on the control knob. There was one difference between the stereos that was obvious. There was a nipple of some sort on the rear of the unit with the CD player where one does not exist on the one with the cassette player. Could this make a difference? The fuse connot have blown because I re-installed the unit with the cassette player and it powered up with no problems.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The clock would not display, and yes, I did push on the control knob. There was one difference between the stereos that was obvious. There was a nipple of some sort on the rear of the unit with the CD player where one does not exist on the one with the cassette player. Could this make a difference? The fuse connot have blown because I re-installed the unit with the cassette player and it powered up with no problems.
That nipple is probably just a rubber isolator to keep it from vibrating too much.

Anyways, it's probably a bad control panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to replace the stereo in my 1999 Taurus. I found a good deal on ebay but the seller says his stereo is from a 1996 and fits 1996 and 1997. Is there any difference between 96 and 99? They both look the same.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
'96 has a different wiring harness than '99. You can make it work if you redo the wiring in the harness, but it's just easier to find one from a '98 or '99.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wondered about that myself too since the stereo connector in the Rangers changer in 1998.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.