There's a lot going-on with the SCCM. Here's my little story, not even a wheel swap.
So, ever since I got my FPIS (Taurus) beater car, the left button bank on the steering wheel has been really flaky. I replaced the button bank with one from one of the wrecked FPIUs (Explorer), it was still acting-up. Basically, the arrow pad worked, but not a single button matched what it was supposed to do, and the cruise control bank was basically non-functional.
Last weekend, I decided to take the full SCCM assembly (module/turn signal stalk/clockspring) from the demolished Utility, figuring everything in it should be much better, being low miles, and why wouldn't it be compatible, being identical from a mechanical standpoint? I connected it to make sure, and the buttons all worked flawlessly, everything on the stalk worked as it should, all seemed to be perfect, so I disconnected the battery again & put everything back together. After getting the airbag back in place, I reconnected the battery, and that's about when I noticed the headlights, taillights, and markers were all on as if the headlight switch was on. The switch did nothing and they wouldn't go off even when it was disconnected completely, but the high-beam control on the stalk worked as one would expect. I figured I may have disturbed the harness and some of the police function rewiring when I had the column apart, so I started messing around there, when that didn't work, I took the column back apart.
Long story short, the only thing that didn't work with the Utility SCCM assembly, when installed in the Sedan, was the ability to control the headlights & marker lights. The BCM was clearly interpreting a signal it got from that assembly as the signal which the headlight switch would transmit when fully on, or, as someone on an Explorer forum mentioned on my post over there, it may be that the BCM failed-over to turning everything on for safety due to an error. Reinstalling the original SCCM assembly got headlight control back, and replacing only the clockspring fixed the crazy button issue. I suspect some of this is due to the instrument cluster dimmer switch being a separate switch in the Sedan and part of the headlight switch assembly in the Utility.
So, I would not expect to be able to use an Explorer SCCM in a Taurus, or vice versa. Even if the buttons mapped correctly, then you'd probably have to deal with other weird stuff that you may not even notice while you're focused on how the wheel is working, just as I did.
So your issue would have been from a programming standpoint as to why all of that happened when you installed a different SCCM. The SCCM controls a variety of things such as the button placements on the steering wheel. Had the SCCM from the Explorer plugged into the Taurus without any issues, some simple programming would have cured any issues. Disappointingly, it does not connect perfectly to the Taurus and therefore will not provide a solution. If it did plug in with both connectors, some programming would have solved the issues.