Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
There's a lot going-on with the SCCM. Here's my little story, not even a wheel swap.

So, ever since I got my FPIS (Taurus) beater car, the left button bank on the steering wheel has been really flaky. I replaced the button bank with one from one of the wrecked FPIUs (Explorer), it was still acting-up. Basically, the arrow pad worked, but not a single button matched what it was supposed to do, and the cruise control bank was basically non-functional.

Last weekend, I decided to take the full SCCM assembly (module/turn signal stalk/clockspring) from the demolished Utility, figuring everything in it should be much better, being low miles, and why wouldn't it be compatible, being identical from a mechanical standpoint? I connected it to make sure, and the buttons all worked flawlessly, everything on the stalk worked as it should, all seemed to be perfect, so I disconnected the battery again & put everything back together. After getting the airbag back in place, I reconnected the battery, and that's about when I noticed the headlights, taillights, and markers were all on as if the headlight switch was on. The switch did nothing and they wouldn't go off even when it was disconnected completely, but the high-beam control on the stalk worked as one would expect. I figured I may have disturbed the harness and some of the police function rewiring when I had the column apart, so I started messing around there, when that didn't work, I took the column back apart.

Long story short, the only thing that didn't work with the Utility SCCM assembly, when installed in the Sedan, was the ability to control the headlights & marker lights. The BCM was clearly interpreting a signal it got from that assembly as the signal which the headlight switch would transmit when fully on, or, as someone on an Explorer forum mentioned on my post over there, it may be that the BCM failed-over to turning everything on for safety due to an error. Reinstalling the original SCCM assembly got headlight control back, and replacing only the clockspring fixed the crazy button issue. I suspect some of this is due to the instrument cluster dimmer switch being a separate switch in the Sedan and part of the headlight switch assembly in the Utility.

So, I would not expect to be able to use an Explorer SCCM in a Taurus, or vice versa. Even if the buttons mapped correctly, then you'd probably have to deal with other weird stuff that you may not even notice while you're focused on how the wheel is working, just as I did.

So your issue would have been from a programming standpoint as to why all of that happened when you installed a different SCCM. The SCCM controls a variety of things such as the button placements on the steering wheel. Had the SCCM from the Explorer plugged into the Taurus without any issues, some simple programming would have cured any issues. Disappointingly, it does not connect perfectly to the Taurus and therefore will not provide a solution. If it did plug in with both connectors, some programming would have solved the issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So your issue would have been from a programming standpoint as to why all of that happened when you installed a different SCCM. The SCCM controls a variety of things such as the button placements on the steering wheel. Had the SCCM from the Explorer plugged into the Taurus without any issues, some simple programming would have cured any issues. Disappointingly, it does not connect perfectly to the Taurus and therefore will not provide a solution. If it did plug in with both connectors, some programming would have solved the issues.

It's possible that programming could have corrected it, but the only issue I experienced was something that wasn't even related to button mapping or directly to the steering column. At least it doesn't seem to be, unless the headlight/dimmer switch is significantly different and wires-up through the SCCM. While there was the one headlight control symptom the same as you noticed with the Explorer SCCM you tried recently, everything else worked flawlessly with the ones I switched out. All three connectors (clockspring and the two on the back of the SCCM) were identical between vehicles, but it sounds like they're yet a 3rd variant. The attached file is what the back of the SCCMs I've been working with look like, does it look like either your OEM or the Explorer one you bought?

I'm curious as to whether the paddle shift might work for my vehicles. I'd say the only thing about them that kind of annoys me is that there is only one way to control shifting, a "low" button on the column shifter. There's no way to hold it in a particular gear, it's either always trying to grab a downshift when the RPM range is able to, or in drive. It seems very unlikely to work (they don't have selectable driving modes or even display the gear they're in), but it's worth spending a few bucks on a 2013 Explorer wheel with paddles to find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It's possible that programming could have corrected it, but the only issue I experienced was something that wasn't even related to button mapping or directly to the steering column. At least it doesn't seem to be, unless the headlight/dimmer switch is significantly different and wires-up through the SCCM. While there was the one headlight control symptom the same as you noticed with the Explorer SCCM you tried recently, everything else worked flawlessly with the ones I switched out. All three connectors (clockspring and the two on the back of the SCCM) were identical between vehicles, but it sounds like they're yet a 3rd variant. The attached file is what the back of the SCCMs I've been working with look like, does it look like either your OEM or the Explorer one you bought?

I'm curious as to whether the paddle shift might work for my vehicles. I'd say the only thing about them that kind of annoys me is that there is only one way to control shifting, a "low" button on the column shifter. There's no way to hold it in a particular gear, it's either always trying to grab a downshift when the RPM range is able to, or in drive. It seems very unlikely to work (they don't have selectable driving modes or even display the gear they're in), but it's worth spending a few bucks on a 2013 Explorer wheel with paddles to find out.

So yes, the layout of that SCCM looks the same as the Taurus and the Explorer. The issue is the connector to the right is empty on the Explorer and therefore will not send any signals to the second wiring adapter. The hexadecimal codes that control the location of the buttons on the steering wheel will not be accepted in the Taurus SCCM. It just doesn't know what to do with them. That's why I thought of swapping in the Explorer SCCM because it can actually take the correct codes to represent the button mapping.

Essentially, we're getting really far into things Ford never intended anyone to be insane enough to do to a brand new car, haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So yes, the layout of that SCCM looks the same as the Taurus and the Explorer. The issue is the connector to the right is empty on the Explorer and therefore will not send any signals to the second wiring adapter. The hexadecimal codes that control the location of the buttons on the steering wheel will not be accepted in the Taurus SCCM. It just doesn't know what to do with them. That's why I thought of swapping in the Explorer SCCM because it can actually take the correct codes to represent the button mapping.

Essentially, we're getting really far into things Ford never intended anyone to be insane enough to do to a brand new car, haha.

So just to confirm, the smaller connector has 4 pins on the regular Taurus, and none on the regular Explorer?

I was thinking the Interceptor SCCM might be a bit more universal, having all the pins in both connectors, so I took the Utility one apart to see if there were headers for a right stalk that it doesn't have. There really isn't much of anything in that area, so it isn't universal enough to add the right stalk. If it's only for wipers, then all its functions are fully integrated onto the left stalk anyway.

However, there are stacked boards connected with headers for the smaller connectors. I'm not sure if they are supposed to come apart, or if they're spacers soldered on both ends, but if this daughter board is missing from the Explorer SCCM, that would explain why it has no pins and why it won't accept programming. There's a decent amount of stuff on that daughterboard.

I'm curious to see what the regular Taurus & Explorer boards look like, if you're feeling adventurous enough to look inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, there's enough different between a wheel with shift paddles that makes it incompatible the way my current SCCM is programmed. I used the switch banks original to the car so the only thing different was the addition of the shift paddles-- the pinouts & wiring for everything else appear the same. It seems the directional pads work, but the auxiliary switches and SYNC/Voice doesn't, either. Looks like it will take a bit more experimentation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this is old but I'm famous for raising the dead... Has anyone tried this with a police interceptor with the column shifter and no "sport mode"? What is this "sport mode" you speak of? Yes mine is the TT ecoboost.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts