Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
So I was in contact with AdmiralSparklez and did the swap in my 13 SHO. What I did first was swap just the wheel. The button functions were backwards like Admiral mentioned a while back in this post. So I went ahead and added the Explorer clockspring into the car. Here is where it gets interesting. The explorer clockspring made no difference what so ever. This tells me there is not much of a difference electronically between the taurus and explorer clockspring. For giggles, I put the Taurus wheel in with the explorer clockspring and everything works 100% as if I never did anything in the first place. So there is definitely something different between the taurus and the explorer. I do not know if it is wiring, or programming. Admiral would probably be able to answer that though. Figured I would put my info in here. If anything, I ended up getting a new clockspring out of this project that didn't need to be replaced to begin with. Oh well. I am keeping my taurus clockspring just in case.

Well that answers that potential solution. Interesting.

So this would tell me that it's programming which I was almost to the conclusion of. I know the exact block in the SCCM that controls the left and right switch pack. I also know the exact values the Explorer has to match the steering wheel. Unfortunately, whenever I try to write the correct values to that block, the module refuses to accept the change as it's "not compatible". That tells me the module is literally too old in a way to accept that configuration. I might actually swap the SCCM to that of a new Explorer which WILL solve the issue, however I'm curious as to if it would piss off any other modules within the car knowing that there would be an entirely different SCCM in there.

I'm going to now research the SCCMs in both the Taurus and Explorer and see if they can be swapped. If so, that solves the issue. My poor Taurus has been a strong ginnie pig so I'm curious as to what will happen if that works.

***EDIT***

Well I just woke up so I'm a little hazy and after looking at pictures for 5 seconds I just remembered that an SCCM is legit the entire steering column with the wiper and turn signal controls soooooooooo......
I wonder if it'll fit in the Taurus...

***EDIT AGAIN***

Okay good news. This may be one hell of a retrofit. After comparing pictures, the Taurus SCCM and the Explorer (2016-2018) SCCM look... absolutely identical... now there are some minor differences but otherwise, the shape and connectors are the same. That's fantastic news.
Other than the extra control stalk sticking out the other side, this may actually work.

Part number for clock spring: GB5T-14B522-DEW

***HEY GUESS WHAT ANOTHER EDIT***

Okay so the only issue that will be had is the shroud on our steering columns. It's not constructed to accommodate another stalk sticking out the side. I'm looking into if an Explorer shroud will fit. If so, that leaves the question of where in the world is the power adjustment for the steering column.

So far here are the part numbers I've found:

SCCM (No idea if there are different SCCMs for different features): GB5T-14B522
Left Stalk (Turn signal) (again, I think there are different kinds for different features): GB5Z-13341
Right Stalk (Wipers): DB5Z-17A553
Power Adjust and Tilt Switch: BA1Z-3B504-AA
Pedal Adjustment Switch: GB5Z-9G604-AA
Steering Column Shroud (with power adjust and tilt): FB5Z-3530-DA

Should I state, the 2018 or 2017 seems to use newer versions of these model numbers. Therefore, these model numbers I have found might be hard to find as they aren't made anymore. I'll further investigate when I'm off work and see what else may be required.

Only thing I'm worried about is the steering column shroud. I'm sure it'll fit around our assembly, but I'm skeptical of how it'll want to clip in or fit in the car. I don't want it looking awful.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Another update for those still interested, I'm soon going to order up a new SCCM assembly which comprises of both control stalks on either side, the SCCM module, and a new clockspring for $100. From what I've investigated, this would also require a new pedal adjustment switch for $7 as our current one in the Taurus will not fit. However, I believe the power adjustment switch for the steering column is the same so I will not order a new one and see if the current one fits. We would also need a new shroud as well to go around everything which is $10. I will see about how that fits as well.

I won't bother ordering a used SCCM assembly as they are already hard to find for a 2016-2018, but I'd rather not order a used one and have it not support power adjustment or whatever.

My goal here is to program the SCCM to that of a Taurus and only change it's switch configuration so it matches the Explorer steering wheel. The three potential issues I see are: 1. The SCCM isn't necessarily an updated part and rather a completely new one that will not accept "older" or "different" configurations from another vehicle, 2. The SCCM assembly will not plug into the car directly as the connector to the internal wiring loom may be different, but I doubt it as all the other connectors it has are identical to the Taurus, and 3. The SCCM shroud will have difficulty fitting around our steering column and look awful, but after looking inside the Taurus, there seems to be quite a bit of extra room and I do not see a different shaped shroud posing a potential issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
One last update:

I received all the hardware I believe is required. I'm going to make the attempt at installing all this on Monday since I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. There's quite a few things I can imagine may go wrong, however there's no doubt in my mind it'll communicate to some degree.

If all goes well, there will be a full tutorial on how to properly swap the steering wheel in the Taurus with that of an Explorer and not have issues with the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One last update:

I received all the hardware I believe is required. I'm going to make the attempt at installing all this on Monday since I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. There's quite a few things I can imagine may go wrong, however there's no doubt in my mind it'll communicate to some degree.

If all goes well, there will be a full tutorial on how to properly swap the steering wheel in the Taurus with that of an Explorer and not have issues with the steering wheel controls.
Very interested in seeing how this turns out

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Reporting back, everything looked perfect up until removing the factory SCCM and installing the Explorer SCCM. So, the Explorer SCCM has three connectors on the back, however only the large, main one has pins inside. The other two are vacant. The Taurus has two connectors plugged into it's factory SCCM, the main one and a smaller one with 4 large pins in a square shape. So essentially what happened was I plugged in the Explorer SCCM with only the main connector since it literally cannot do anything with the other one and the car did turn on, but none of the stalks worked, the headlights wouldn't turn off, and it was chiming at me a lot.

It's looking like this method may be a bust. There was only one other SCCM that supported the power tilt and telescoping steering column, however I fear it is the same situation with only utilizing one connector rather than both like the Taurus wants.

I would have tried to program the SCCM in it's state because I thought the Explorer SCCM being plugged in and not working was just so out of wack because of it's as-built. Even trying to communicate with the Explorer SCCM, it appeared dead to both FORScan and my application as if it wasn't even plugged in. Without both connectors plugged in, it's completely unresponsive with the rest of the electronic infrastructure within the Taurus.

This would be a lot easier if the factory SCCM could take the correct as-built configuration for the new switch location rather than just saying "incompatible configuration".

The only other thing I can attempt to do is pick up an extra Taurus SCCM, slap that in, and force flash the Explorer firmware to it and see what happens. That'll probably really piss it off as it'll be expecting a second stalk on the right side of the wheel which wouldn't be physically possible to plug in.

If anyone else has any ideas, throw them out!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reporting back, everything looked perfect up until removing the factory SCCM and installing the Explorer SCCM. So, the Explorer SCCM has three connectors on the back, however only the large, main one has pins inside. The other two are vacant. The Taurus has two connectors plugged into it's factory SCCM, the main one and a smaller one with 4 large pins in a square shape. So essentially what happened was I plugged in the Explorer SCCM with only the main connector since it literally cannot do anything with the other one and the car did turn on, but none of the stalks worked, the headlights wouldn't turn off, and it was chiming at me a lot.

It's looking like this method may be a bust. There was only one other SCCM that supported the power tilt and telescoping steering column, however I fear it is the same situation with only utilizing one connector rather than both like the Taurus wants.

I would have tried to program the SCCM in it's state because I thought the Explorer SCCM being plugged in and not working was just so out of wack because of it's as-built. Even trying to communicate with the Explorer SCCM, it appeared dead to both FORScan and my application as if it wasn't even plugged in. Without both connectors plugged in, it's completely unresponsive with the rest of the electronic infrastructure within the Taurus.

This would be a lot easier if the factory SCCM could take the correct as-built configuration for the new switch location rather than just saying "incompatible configuration".

The only other thing I can attempt to do is pick up an extra Taurus SCCM, slap that in, and force flash the Explorer firmware to it and see what happens. That'll probably really piss it off as it'll be expecting a second stalk on the right side of the wheel which wouldn't be physically possible to plug in.

If anyone else has any ideas, throw them out!
My only thought now would be to see if you can find a newer taurus SCCM. Preferably 2017 or so and see if it would let you program the as built for the explorer wheel. Or do what you said and see if it would let you program the explorer SCCM as built to it, but that will probably piss something else in the car off. I currently do not have the funds, or the time to really mess with it.

One thing I am going to try, just because I know it will fit, I am going to take the grey trim, buttons, wire harness as well as the shroud off my taurus wheel and swap all of that over to the explorer wheel I have just so I can get rid of the crappy alcantara that is more like sandpaper now. I actually thought about doing this from the get go and it looks like it will fit with no issues. I will at least have a fully leather wrapped wheel then with the taurus controls. If there is a solution to this then I will swap everything else back over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One thing I am going to try, just because I know it will fit, I am going to take the grey trim, buttons, wire harness as well as the shroud off my taurus wheel and swap all of that over to the explorer wheel I have just so I can get rid of the crappy alcantara that is more like sandpaper now. I actually thought about doing this from the get go and it looks like it will fit with no issues. I will at least have a fully leather wrapped wheel then with the taurus controls. If there is a solution to this then I will swap everything else back over.
So I gave that a try and it did kinda work. The explorer wheel is just a little different in terms of its shape so there were some gaps around the trim pieces and it just didn't look right. So I now have a useless explorer wheel unless admiral figures something out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So I gave that a try and it did kinda work. The explorer wheel is just a little different in terms of its shape so there were some gaps around the trim pieces and it just didn't look right. So I now have a useless explorer wheel unless admiral figures something out.

I may be onto something else that could work. Different firmware versions on the SCCM seem to cause it to see different button placements.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

And actually, you might be onto something here. I think it may be possible to essentially swap over the entire electronic system from the Taurus wheel into the Explorer wheel. Essentially you'd have the Taurus buttons, but within the Explorer wheel to retain it's design.

·
Registered
144 Posts
And actually, you might be onto something here. I think it may be possible to essentially swap over the entire electronic system from the Taurus wheel into the Explorer wheel. Essentially you'd have the Taurus buttons, but within the Explorer wheel to retain it's design.
I thought it was going to work because they look identical, but the taurus wheel is just a little different in some areas and it just didn't quite line up right. I wasnt able to really get it screwed together without warping the trim panel.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is it possible to change the firmware? I know it probably requires special means to do that though.

I think I'll try to swap the parts between the wheels and see what it can come out like. I'm liking that idea.

As far as firmware, force flashing the Explorer firmware will either kill the module or if it lives, it'll expect another stalk sticking out the side which won't be possible to plug in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think I'll try to swap the parts between the wheels and see what it can come out like. I'm liking that idea.

As far as firmware, force flashing the Explorer firmware will either kill the module or if it lives, it'll expect another stalk sticking out the side which won't be possible to plug in.
Seeing how swapping the controls goes. I could have done something wrong as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Seeing how swapping the controls goes. I could have done something wrong as well.

You can keep the upper left and upper right arrow controls as they are the same and much better quality, however I'm curious as to how the lower left and lower right controls would look within the Explorer wheel and if they would hopefully fit and connect. Essentially it's just a button swap.

My fear is if we swap the entire electronic board from the Taurus into the Explorer wheel, not only will the paddle shifter function be lost (at least in my case), but it might not fit right. Buttons are just buttons. The SCCM tells the car where the buttons are located from what we've discovered recently so I'm hoping the lower right and left buttons from the Taurus wheel can be fitted into the Explorer wheel. That would be an ideal situation.

Hell, that would also retain the heated steering wheel ability for the future as well as the overall style of the wheel which was the whole point of this in the first place.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can keep the upper left and upper right arrow controls as they are the same and much better quality, however I'm curious as to how the lower left and lower right controls would look within the Explorer wheel and if they would hopefully fit and connect. Essentially it's just a button swap.

My fear is if we swap the entire electronic board from the Taurus into the Explorer wheel, not only will the paddle shifter function be lost (at least in my case), but it might not fit right. Buttons are just buttons. The SCCM tells the car where the buttons are located from what we've discovered recently so I'm hoping the lower right and left buttons from the Taurus wheel can be fitted into the Explorer wheel. That would be an ideal situation.

Hell, that would also retain the heated steering wheel ability for the future as well as the overall style of the wheel which was the whole point of this in the first place.
So when I swapped the trim, harness, and buttons over, I was curious to see if the buttons would fit in the explorer wheel with the black trim and they just don't. The arrows and buttons are one module on each side. There is no circuit board in the wheel. Just left controls, right controls and the paddle shifters which are identical across the 2 wheels. So I then decided to swap the front grey trim with the button modules in place, and the rear plastic molding which has the harness in it. When I swapped it over though, things did not quite line up right because the explorer wheel is shaped just a little bit differently. It looked like it would work, and like I said I might have done something wrong.

What I wanted to know, was if it is possible to re-pin the left and right modules in the explorer wheel so they work correctly in the taurus. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to now what wire goes to what button on each module. Admiral, have you tried this?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So when I swapped the trim, harness, and buttons over, I was curious to see if the buttons would fit in the explorer wheel with the black trim and they just don't. The arrows and buttons are one module on each side. There is no circuit board in the wheel. Just left controls, right controls and the paddle shifters which are identical across the 2 wheels. So I then decided to swap the front grey trim with the button modules in place, and the rear plastic molding which has the harness in it. When I swapped it over though, things did not quite line up right because the explorer wheel is shaped just a little bit differently. It looked like it would work, and like I said I might have done something wrong.

What I wanted to know, was if it is possible to re-pin the left and right modules in the explorer wheel so they work correctly in the taurus. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to now what wire goes to what button on each module. Admiral, have you tried this?

I did and I gave up quickly. That was actually the very first thing I tried is repinning the connectors to try and "rearrange" the button location. Again, I gave up quickly but what I noticed is after doing that a few times, it would kill a few buttons, one side of the wheel would stop working, only the volume buttons would work, etc. I'm sure this is possible and I'd need a wiring diagram to see if it's possible to switch around the buttons with just wiring. I wanna feel like this is a solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did and I gave up quickly. That was actually the very first thing I tried is repinning the connectors to try and "rearrange" the button location. Again, I gave up quickly but what I noticed is after doing that a few times, it would kill a few buttons, one side of the wheel would stop working, only the volume buttons would work, etc. I'm sure this is possible and I'd need a wiring diagram to see if it's possible to switch around the buttons with just wiring. I wanna feel like this is a solution.
So looking at the wiring diagram, it is clear that each button is resistor based inside each button module. So re-pinning it is a no go unless you want to re-solder the electronics in each button module.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So looking at the wiring diagram, it is clear that each button is resistor based inside each button module. So re-pinning it is a no go unless you want to re-solder the electronics in each button module.

Wow, you actually found a diagram. Well that would answer that.

Ugh. UGGGGHHHH. I want this to work perfectly. I'm gonna force this thing to work even if I die doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a lot going-on with the SCCM. Here's my little story, not even a wheel swap.

So, ever since I got my FPIS (Taurus) beater car, the left button bank on the steering wheel has been really flaky. I replaced the button bank with one from one of the wrecked FPIUs (Explorer), it was still acting-up. Basically, the arrow pad worked, but not a single button matched what it was supposed to do, and the cruise control bank was basically non-functional.

Last weekend, I decided to take the full SCCM assembly (module/turn signal stalk/clockspring) from the demolished Utility, figuring everything in it should be much better, being low miles, and why wouldn't it be compatible, being identical from a mechanical standpoint? I connected it to make sure, and the buttons all worked flawlessly, everything on the stalk worked as it should, all seemed to be perfect, so I disconnected the battery again & put everything back together. After getting the airbag back in place, I reconnected the battery, and that's about when I noticed the headlights, taillights, and markers were all on as if the headlight switch was on. The switch did nothing and they wouldn't go off even when it was disconnected completely, but the high-beam control on the stalk worked as one would expect. I figured I may have disturbed the harness and some of the police function rewiring when I had the column apart, so I started messing around there, when that didn't work, I took the column back apart.

Long story short, the only thing that didn't work with the Utility SCCM assembly, when installed in the Sedan, was the ability to control the headlights & marker lights. The BCM was clearly interpreting a signal it got from that assembly as the signal which the headlight switch would transmit when fully on, or, as someone on an Explorer forum mentioned on my post over there, it may be that the BCM failed-over to turning everything on for safety due to an error. Reinstalling the original SCCM assembly got headlight control back, and replacing only the clockspring fixed the crazy button issue. I suspect some of this is due to the instrument cluster dimmer switch being a separate switch in the Sedan and part of the headlight switch assembly in the Utility.

So, I would not expect to be able to use an Explorer SCCM in a Taurus, or vice versa. Even if the buttons mapped correctly, then you'd probably have to deal with other weird stuff that you may not even notice while you're focused on how the wheel is working, just as I did.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts