Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

So one of the things I've wanted to do was add paddle shifters to my Taurus. However, I didn't really want to cut into my current wheel or use wireless paddle shifters.
Long story short, apparently a 2017 Ford Explorer wheel and clockspring work perfectly on a 2013 Taurus. Check it out!

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Nice. I don't really care for paddle shifters on an automatic, but I do like this wheel way better than the OEM on my 2013. Do tell more, like way more. I wouldn't mind doing same but lack knowledge how and what all would be needed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I also like this wheel's design way more than the OEM wheel.
Basically, I got this wheel and a 2017 Explorer clockspring. That's really all you need because your current airbag will mount directly onto the Explorer wheel.

1. There are two holes on either side of the steering wheel column behind the steering wheel. You put a small screwdriver or allen wrench or something small and cylindrical into those holes and push in a certain area to release the airbag.
2. Disconnect the airbag and unbolt the steering wheel with the giant center bolt in the middle. Also remove the connector to the clockspring above that center bolt.
3. Next, you do have to take apart the steering column a bit and remove the pedal adjustment and column adjustment switches and what not in order to remove the clockspring. That comes right out and you insert the new Explorer clockspring as a replacement.
4. Then put everything back together, mount the wheel and tighten the center bolt, connect the wheel to the new clockspring connector, connect the airbag and push it back onto the wheel, and voila!

This works 100%, even the paddle shifters. I assumed I would have had to program the SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) to recognize the new paddle shifters and stuff, but that's not required. I have the buttons on the shift lever that shift the car that way, but with these paddle shifters, both the buttons on the shift lever and the paddles work when in Sport mode.

Should I also specify, the steering wheel DOES WORK with the OEM clockspring. EVERYTHING works perfectly without the matching clockspring (even the paddle shifters) except some of the button functions are switched around. For example, the "voice command" and "hang up" buttons on the bottom right of the Explorer wheel actually control volume up and down.

My next plan is to get the HSWM module which provides the heated steering wheel function and wiring that in and programming the car to show the option and use it. This is possible and easily doable with a new steering wheel (such as the one we're talking about) that supports a heating element. No codes have been thrown at all, OEM clockspring and Explorer clockspring. And my Taurus also did not come with the heated steering wheel feature.

Any more issues, I'm more than willing to help!!

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Thx for the info, seems pretty straight forward. Just so I get this straight, the button functions are switched only when using the original Taurus' clock spring or does this happen with the Explorer clock spring as well? Also, if you don't mind where'd you get the wheel. I've been looking around ebays & various part sites including Fords and have some trouble matching one in your pic, too many variants. Wouldn't have the part # would you?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
That's impressive. I wanted this on my 2014 but, very ironically, ended up in an Explorer.

Is that a Platinum wheel? I love that wood grain on the top. And just saying--the heated steering wheel feature is very niiiiccceee once you get it enabled. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thx for the info, seems pretty straight forward. Just so I get this straight, the button functions are switched only when using the original Taurus' clock spring or does this happen with the Explorer clock spring as well? Also, if you don't mind where'd you get the wheel. I've been looking around ebays & various part sites including Fords and have some trouble matching one in your pic, too many variants. Wouldn't have the part # would you?
Yes, with the Taurus clockspring that comes with your vehicle, some of the button functions are switched around. With the Explorer clockspring, this issue is solved. Now just to reassure, the wheel works PERFECTLY FINE with NO codes if you choose just to install the wheel and not the Explorer clockspring. Some functions are just switched around, but all the functions are present and none are left out. Due to the layout of the OEM wheel, the SCCM still thinks the wheel is the same, but of course it isn't. Since the layout of the Explorer wheel is different, the pictures on each button essentially don't matter. All the functions are in the same place as they are on the OEM Taurus wheel. I have tried rewiring the connectors in the wheel to change around the functions as a cheaper alternative, but it does not work that way I discovered.

Let me try to get a part number for you as well if I find the spare time. I got the wheel from eBay and there was only one with wood grain at the top which was a MUST for me because it had to match the interior! I think there are only two, maybe three variants. The most common is the blacked out one. All leather.

That's impressive. I wanted this on my 2014 but, very ironically, ended up in an Explorer.

Is that a Platinum wheel? I love that wood grain on the top. And just saying--the heated steering wheel feature is very niiiiccceee once you get it enabled. :)
I'm not sure what edition wheel it is, but I agree! I love the wood grain at the top! It's an exact match to the interior of the car. I'm sure the heated option is so worth it! I haven't had a car with that yet so I haven't spoiled myself just yet!

On a side note, regarding this specific wheel I've noticed it seems just a tad bit thicker than the OEM Taurus wheel (probably because of the heating function). It was a very quick adjustment, however!

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Don't need the paddle shifter, but staying tuned for the heated portion.

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Ok, thanks for clarification, just wanted to be sure. Having buttons switched would have been complete deal-breaker for me. The more I look at this wheel the more I want it. If you can dig up the PN that would be sweet, no rush. Heated function would be sweet too, but I think Mustang5L5 was toying with the idea and he determined that wiring was not even present, so not sure if that's doable or not. Would love to have one but I guess I made my peace by now so not the end of the world.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Heated function would be sweet too, but I think Mustang5L5 was toying with the idea and he determined that wiring was not even present, so not sure if that's doable or not. Would love to have one but I guess I made my peace by now so not the end of the world.

Yeah, I tried to install a heated wheel on my car a while back. I purchased a SHO steering wheel that had the heated element and the paddle shifters.

There's a different clockspring for the heated element wheels, as there is an additional plug for the heating element. But what stopped my plan was the lack of wiring for the HSWM. If you pop off the pass side dash cover (where it says Taurus) you'll find the location of where the module sits. However, at least on my '14 Limited, the wiring for it was not present. I searched around quite a bit to see if it was taped up somewhere and didn't find it.

I ended up selling off my SHO wheel a while back (for a profit too) so I can't explore this at this point in time anymore, however, Ford wheels are fairly cheap. I prefer the black bezel on the wheel, so maybe i'll try and snag an explorer wheel now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmm, that brings the question of if it's possible to build the wiring harness. Or even find it out of a donor car or purchase the wiring required. I can say anything is possible with the right amount of time and money.
For myself personally, the heating element isn't too big of a deal. However, I do enjoy the thoughts of adding factory options to a vehicle that wasn't built with said options.

Ok, thanks for clarification, just wanted to be sure. Having buttons switched would have been complete deal-breaker for me. The more I look at this wheel the more I want it. If you can dig up the PN that would be sweet, no rush. Heated function would be sweet too, but I think Mustang5L5 was toying with the idea and he determined that wiring was not even present, so not sure if that's doable or not. Would love to have one but I guess I made my peace by now so not the end of the world.
I believe I might have found the part number, "FB5Z-3600-HA". Very difficult to find on websites like eBay it would seem. Brand new, the whole steering wheel is north of $600. Apparently my $150 bid was an absolute steal. There is a good amount of the blacked out version of the steering wheel, "FB53-3F563-MK". Retail from Ford, the platinum edition wheel (wood grain and stone stitching, the one in the pictures above) is twice the price as the standard black leather and black bezel version of the wheel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are so many Ford steering wheels on Ebay that sometimes the recycler's just list them as generic Ford Taurus or Explorer wheels. For instance, my SHO wheel just just listed as "Taurus wheel" from LQK and I bought it for ~$50 shipped. I was able to see in one of the pics the paddle shifter and heating wiring, so I ran the VIN they provided and it came back to a wrecked '14 SHO. I ended up selling it for $100 once I gave up on my project. At $100 it still took 3-4 months for it to sell on Ebay. Not many people with 5 year old cars need to replace the steering wheel I guess.

Anyway, I'd first take a peek in your car and see if the wiring is there. I took a good look around in mine and didn't see it, but fingers crossed the plug was tucked up under some brace that might be more easily visible in your car? Who knows. But not to give you falve hope but the entire area above the glovebox was pretty void of any wiring.

You'd also need to enable the heated wheel soft touch button with Forscan which is very easy to do. After that, the routing of the wiring to build a harness? I have no idea. You'd need wiring diagrams to even start this as you'd need to connect the FCIM to the HSWM somehow with physical wires as well as connect the HSWM to the new clockspring.

As you can see...this is why I gave up.

Now I kinda wish I kept the wheel seeing I was only a clockspring away from paddle shifters. Not like I even use the selectshift anyway. I'm a clutch guy personally.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, this would be a pretty cool project to make this happen. Even though this is just a heating steering wheel function, not an engine swap. I still think it'd be pretty darn cool. I guess the real answers lie in finding the wiring harnesses in a vehicle that does have this function from the factory and seeing if they plug right in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you happen to know the part number of the clock spring you went with? I find a few different part numbers on Ebay and I haven't been able to figure out what the differences are if any. All are approx the same price

I've found the following:
GB5T-14A664-AB
GB5T-14A664-BB
GB5T-14A664-BC

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Mine is GB5Z-14A664-A. That's for non-heat, paddle, Sync II. It's from a 2017 Explorer XLT. Haven't installed it yet so not sure if it actually works but it's from the same car the wheel (FB5Z-3600-BA) came off of.

EDIT:

Well, finally got around to the swap and the airbag connectors from the clock-spring are different.
Because of course they are. FML

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is GB5Z-14A664-A. That's for non-heat, paddle, Sync II. It's from a 2017 Explorer XLT. Haven't installed it yet so not sure if it actually works but it's from the same car the wheel (FB5Z-3600-BA) came off of.

EDIT:

Well, finally got around to the swap and the airbag connectors from the clock-spring are different.
Seriously? They're different? That's odd. Whatever clockspring I got has the same connectors. I can try and find a model number.

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Yea. I think Ford may have changed this on 2016/17 Explorers. I've checked out a couple of Explorer airbags and ones up to 2015 have the same connectors as I do on my 2013 Ltd. 2016/17 have a different (new?) style (with a round collar). My wheel and clockspring came off the same 2017 Explorer XLT VIN. Technically this can be re-done, it's just connector style and they're like 10 bucks. I can't seem to be able to get them out of the clockspring assy (haven't tried very hard for fear of cracking something) but maybe I'll eventually get around to it, I mean I have a useless clockspring sitting on my desk anyhow, I just don't enjoy screwing around the airbag system.

This is what I have in the Taurus:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airbag-Clo...spring-Wire-For-Dodge-Ford-Jeep-/182271708745

This is what the clockspring from Explorer has:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airbag-Clo...g-For-Sonata-Focus-Volt-Equinox-/311692860286

Update:

Well, I decided to put it in for shts and giggles for now to see what else if anything comes up.

With original clockspring things are definitely messed up button-wise. Track-next/prev are reversed (nbd), voice command+phone are actually volume +- and reversed, volume +- are dead, as in they don't do a damn thing. That means that I lost voice commands + phone. I can live w/o phone control but voice commands is a biggie, so eventually I need to get the proper clockspring in. Cruise control is dead, although I don't recall ever using it, so maybe I don't know how lol. Paddles work fine. Both the new spring and wheel have an additional 2-wire (bk/rd) connector which is not present on my original spring. I wonder if that's for heated wheel. I left it be for now.

So, all in all, I like the wheel, it is noticeably thicker, leather is not as smooth (which I prefer) and black insert looks way nicer. The airbag is slightly more grayish which is kinda cool and not-cool at the same time - haven't decided yet how I feel about that. Hopefully I can get the connections situation sorted soon, cause I'd hate to have to put the original wheel back on.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very interesting. The buttons on my new wheel worked entirely without the matching clockspring, just switched around a little bit. Very odd. Maybe I have a different clockspring and that affected this? Or maybe your bull is a little different than mine feature wise and that's why you have more issues than me.

All in all, very strange. But there must be a way to make this work completely. Sometime this week or next week I'll be able to crack open the steering center again and see if I can find a model number on the clockspring I picked up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

EDIT:

I'm gonna revive this project a bit and research what's required to not only make this steering wheel swap fully functional, but also see about retrofitting the heated steering wheel module into the system.

dundun, do all the other connectors work and it's just the airbag connectors that are different? Or are multiple connections different? Because if only the airbag connectors are different, it's really just an airbag swap. However, if everything else is different then we're talking a whole new steering column...

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I was in contact with AdmiralSparklez and did the swap in my 13 SHO. What I did first was swap just the wheel. The button functions were backwards like Admiral mentioned a while back in this post. So I went ahead and added the Explorer clockspring into the car. Here is where it gets interesting. The explorer clockspring made no difference what so ever. This tells me there is not much of a difference electronically between the taurus and explorer clockspring. For giggles, I put the Taurus wheel in with the explorer clockspring and everything works 100% as if I never did anything in the first place. So there is definitely something different between the taurus and the explorer. I do not know if it is wiring, or programming. Admiral would probably be able to answer that though. Figured I would put my info in here. If anything, I ended up getting a new clockspring out of this project that didn't need to be replaced to begin with. Oh well. I am keeping my taurus clockspring just in case.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts