Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This situation really frustrates me because the car drove great when I purchased it 6 weeks ago.
Just so you all can understand my frustration, I am so frustrated at this car I am ready to sell it.

So far I have done the following:

Replaced all 4 tires with brand new Firestone tires...3 weeks later one tire was determined to be defective, replaced with brand new one at no cost to me.
Replaced Half Shaft because boot was leaking
Right side ball joint and tie rod
Alignment
Resurfaced front rotors and had new ceramic pads on front installed

Even after all this, the car seems to shake after 59/60mph. Vibrations can be felt in the back seet, and mainly the steering wheel goes side to side.

Oddly enough, I only remember this problem AFTER the half shaft was done. Garage did have to get 3 different parts to get the half shaft correct so this does make me a little nervious. They told me that the Flex Fuel is a different part or something. Either case, after 3 attempts they installed the Half Shaft.

One last thing, is when I step on the gas from a standstill I can hear something hit. Almost seems like a motor or tranny mount but motor seems firm.

Any help suggestions appreciated.

I am taking it in tomarrow to get a second alignment and to have the half shaft work checked.

2000 Taurus SE FFV

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sudden or gradual onset?

Any chance of a bent rim?
[/b]

Hard to say if it was sudden or gradual honestly.

They said something about the rim, but did not really say it was "bent". They said my two worst were now in the back. didnt seem to make much of a difference. I dont remember hitting any substantial pot holesor curbs. The roads up here in Rochester, Ny are full of pot holes however.

I am sceptical about trying a new Rim because I have already spent so much money and nothing resolved.

I have the RIMS not caps, so the OEM ford rim looks to be about $150/Rim. Just seems to be a expensive trial/error at this point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're not already, I'd take it to an actual Ford dealership and see what they think. A Ford dealership services substantially more Tauruses than your average corner repair shop, and will have more experience with problems specific to them.

If you've already done that, I'd try a place that specializes in steering/suspensions.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oddly enough, I only remember this problem AFTER the half shaft was done. Garage did have to get 3 different parts to get the half shaft correct so this does make me a little nervious. They told me that the Flex Fuel is a different part or something. Either case, after 3 attempts they installed the Half Shaft.
[/b]

I would start with this statement and assume first that the shop did something wrong. I would probably take it to a dealer to check out the work that was performed. Perhaps something was not installed correctly or not tightened up....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anything that causes the wheel to move can be the culprit. The brakes would only be the cause if it happens when applying the brakes.

I usually find that this is tire related, as in not balanced or low tire pressure. If it only happens at 60 mph or so, it sounds like a wheel could be out of balance. Other cause can be a bad tie-rod.

When you turn the wheel slightly off center when driving, do you hear a noise, a humming? If so, it can be a wheel bearing.

I've never heard about a CV (half-shaft) causing the wheel to shimmy, only click on corners.

Does this happen when the stereo is on? If so, your steering wheel could just be dancing to the music. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today was HELL.

Shop that did ball joint & tie rod blamed Shop 2 that did half shaft.
Shop 2 agreed to tow to thier shop because it was unsafe to drive.

Shop 2 recieved the car and blamed shop 1.

I am at a total loss right now. Beyond pissed.

Anyone want a 2000 taurus AS IS?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well today was HELL.

Shop that did ball joint & tie rod blamed Shop 2 that did half shaft.
Shop 2 agreed to tow to thier shop because it was unsafe to drive.

Shop 2 recieved the car and blamed shop 1.

I am at a total loss right now. Beyond pissed.

Anyone want a 2000 taurus AS IS?
[/b]
So what exactly have they determined to be the problem, or is that not even known?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it a new half shaft or rebuilt? If rebuilt, likely a bad inner CV joint housing. Always use NEW ones.
[/b]

Was a rebuilt. Garage is fighting me all the way but they have almost agreed to replace the part. I am going there tomarrow morning.

The garage that told me it was bad told me that it is only engaging sometimes? Would that indicate a bad CV Joint housing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Symptoms? Vibrations in the steering/frond end while accelerating or not.

Rebuilt axles are reassembled from different parts and are rebooted and repack with grease. Nothing is done about the wear in the inner housing where the tripod may be loose.

Get new complete axle assemblies, they're less than 100$ each and replace both right and left while the car is on the lift. A ½ hour job per side at most. Check engine mounts too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Symptoms? Vibrations in the steering/frond end while accelerating or not.

Rebuilt axles are reassembled from different parts and are rebooted and repack with grease. Nothing is done about the wear in the inner housing where the tripod may be loose.

Get new complete axle assemblies, they're less than 100$ each and replace both right and left while the car is on the lift. A ½ hour job per side at most. Check engine mounts too.
[/b]

Vibrations are at 60+ when NOT accelerating. Garage is refusing to replace Half Shaft because they say there is nothing wrong with it.
Vibrations are still present when going 60+ and car is in nutral

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am not so sure that the cv axle is really the problem.

I would be concerned that the shop that put it in took three tries to order the correct one. FFV engined cars use the same axles are other Vulcan (3.0 OHV) engined cars, the only differences are related to the fuel system. Transmissions are the same. There are different axles from side to side, and for AX4S and SHO engined cars.

Firestone tires are crap.

If your wheels are bent, replace them. You can easily confirm that they are straight or bent by raisin the front of the car onto jackstands, starting the car, and spinning the front wheels to see if they are true. You may even be able to see why your wheels are shimmying.

If you do try this, after you check the front wheels, put the car down, and left up each side to swap the tire front to rear. Then raise the front of the car back onto backstands, and check if the wheels that came from the rear are bent.

No wheel distortion is acceptable. If I were you, and I found a bent wheel, I would go back to the party I bought the car from and try to get a partial refund to cover as much of the cost of replacement (used) wheels as a could. Self-Service Salvage Yards here in SoCal charge about $20 a wheel for alloys. I would look for a set of factory Ford alloy wheels (much stronger and less likely to bend without detectable visible damage).

With straight wheels (after eliminating the bent wheels, remounting and balancing the tires), if you still have the problem, I would suspect the tie-rod ends. Tie-rod ends on Taurii typically only last around 100-125K miles. A/some worn tie-rods, or a worn power steering rack, or bad wheel alignment will cause the problem that you are describing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not so sure that the cv axle is really the problem.

I would be concerned that the shop that put it in took three tries to order the correct one. FFV engined cars use the same axles are other Vulcan (3.0 OHV) engined cars, the only differences are related to the fuel system. Transmissions are the same. There are different axles from side to side, and for AX4S and SHO engined cars.

Firestone tires are crap.

If your wheels are bent, replace them. You can easily confirm that they are straight or bent by raisin the front of the car onto jackstands, starting the car, and spinning the front wheels to see if they are true. You may even be able to see why your wheels are shimmying.

If you do try this, after you check the front wheels, put the car down, and left up each side to swap the tire front to rear. Then raise the front of the car back onto backstands, and check if the wheels that came from the rear are bent.

No wheel distortion is acceptable. If I were you, and I found a bent wheel, I would go back to the party I bought the car from and try to get a partial refund to cover as much of the cost of replacement (used) wheels as a could. Self-Service Salvage Yards here in SoCal charge about $20 a wheel for alloys. I would look for a set of factory Ford alloy wheels (much stronger and less likely to bend without detectable visible damage).

With straight wheels (after eliminating the bent wheels, remounting and balancing the tires), if you still have the problem, I would suspect the tie-rod ends. Tie-rod ends on Taurii typically only last around 100-125K miles. A/some worn tie-rods, or a worn power steering rack, or bad wheel alignment will cause the problem that you are describing.
[/b]
I do have the aloy wheels

Like these: Taurus RIM

If i buy a used wheel couldent they be just as bent as my used wheels?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
assuming one of these shops doesn't fix it, an annoying but telling little project may be to put your spare on in place of each wheel one at a time, and go for a test drive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
assuming one of these shops doesn't fix it, an annoying but telling little project may be to put your spare on in place of each wheel one at a time, and go for a test drive.
[/b]
I thought of this too but isent the spare a doughnut and will make the car ride like s*** after 55 anyway?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
So try doing what I told you to do. Get off the keyboard, lift the front of the car onto jackstands, and start the car and observe the way the wheel spin. You don't seem to like any of the suggestions we have given, and if everything checked out like you wrote, then you would not have a problem. So, obviously you are missing something.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So try doing what I told you to do. Get off the keyboard, lift the front of the car onto jackstands, and start the car and observe the way the wheel spin. You don't seem to like any of the suggestions we have given, and if everything checked out like you wrote, then you would not have a problem. So, obviously you are missing something.
[/b]

UPDATE

Car was in an accident and has a bent sub-frame.

Also, my "spider" coolant like busted yesterday. There goes another $480.
Gas millage has went WAYY down too. 1/4 day with light driving on the highway.

Car is being sold, idc. I have put over $1800 in this car in the last 6 weeks, im done.

Thank you everybody for all your help :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts