Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '96 and I think I'm going to attempt to install one of those laced-up leather steering wheel covers. Based on things I've read, it seems like the process would be much easier if I could remove the steering wheel and bring it in the house to do this project.

I read this thread which makes it seem like all I'd have to do is disconnect the battery, take out a 10mm nut, pull out the airbag, remove a 15mm nut, and the wheel pops off.

Is it really that easy? Should I be afraid of the airbag randomly exploding in my face? Has anyone installed one of these covers before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks. Any way to guarantee I will be fine? I really don't want the airbag going off in my face. Really, REALLY don't want that.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The wheel is somewhat press fitted on there. Don't be surprised if you have to fight it.

And so long as you deplete the electrical system you will be fine. Disconnect battery, try to cycle as many electrical components as possible to remove any residual charge from the system (apply the brakes, turn on the road, lights, etc).

Also, run a piece of tape across the steering wheel and the column cover and mark it. This way your steering wheel will be perfectly centered and straight on reinstall :) Follow proper torque specifications on airbag bolts and the steering wheel bolt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right, sounds good. Am I correct that airbags are electrically activated and that they won't be triggered by rough handling?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
All right, sounds good. Am I correct that airbags are electrically activated and that they won't be triggered by rough handling?
That would be correct. So try not to build up static electricity. Hopefully humidity and temp will be warmer in your area.

You'll be fine just be concious that you are carrying/handling an airbag. be gentle with it, and aim it ALWAYS away from you and others around you :)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
You might want to check your local J/Y for a wheel that is already wrapped......the gen 3 wheels with leather are not that much. Try to find an SHO wheel, those are the ones with the leather wrapped all the way to the horn switch, I got mine from SHOZ123 for around 25.00. Since you are going to pull the wheel any way, check it out if you want to save some time...i'd suggest just calling the yards to ask.
As Nick said use some tape to mark the location first, I didn't... and now I have to re-position my wheel when it gets warm enough. Though not sure how to get it just right, yet though.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey Don...just FYI, only 96 SHOs have complete leather wrap up to the horn pad, as do earlier Gen 2 SHOs with the Gen 3 like wheel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I did it. Success. I ended up making my own cover too, using faux-leather black vinyl. Not perfect, but a good first attempt. I can post pics if anyone cares.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more I look at it, the less satisfied I am. I underestimated just how much the material would stretch while lacing, so in the end, I had a lot of slack. I tried to distribute it back artound the wheel but there's just too much bunching. I was also timid in the beginning about pulling the laces really tight, for fear that the material would rip. So the first third (or so) is a little too loose.

I'm going to unlace it, restitch to take up the slack, and try again. I'll post pics when I finish. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is this the same process you would use for a 2004?
I need to lift the horn/airbag and remove a lego that got pushed thru the gap between the horn and the wheel...(dont ask)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts