Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 Taurus 3.0L 130K new front tires, struts, rotors, and pads.
When driving at around 30mph the steering wheel tends to want to go back and forth a bit, not enough for the car to wander in the road, but you can feel it in the wheel and if you take your hand off you can see it plain as day. If I said it goes from 11:00 to 1:00 would be a push but you get the idea. It goes away as you go faster, or maybe its going faster to and you just don't notice it as much. Alignment is good, will track straight down the interstate at 70mph. Any ideas what to check?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you have your tires balanced? May also be a hub bearing on its way out. Is there an extra growling noise coming from the front end? Make sure your wheels are on straight and all the lug nuts are the tight.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Last time I had my car alligned and tires balanced the steering wheel felt...floaty going down the highway...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not so sure it's a tire balance issue. Did it with the old tires and new. Does it after you rotate the tires. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Originally posted by I LUV WI@Sep 28 2004, 04:55 PM
Not so sure it's a tire balance issue. Did it with the old tires and new. Does it after you rotate the tires. Any other ideas?
Does it get worse when you brake?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by I LUV WI@Sep 28 2004, 03:55 PM
You have to balance the tires pretty frequently, especially after you have rotated them a time or two.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've experienced a GREAT deal of pain in this department first-hand for over a YEAR. Found out the dealer, despite having and using TWO different balancing machines, different mechanics, new tires, new rotors, resurfaced rotors, replaced wheel and a complete four-wheel alignment could not figure out the problem: their balancing machines went out of calibration. It took going to another dealer to prove this and 20K more miles/one year later now, the problem has not returned.
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts