Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 Taurus sedan and the steering wheel pulsates at high speeds. It starts at about 50MPH and continues up to about 75MPH. I've balanced the tires and got the brakes inspected. Could it be that the tires are cupped and need to be replaced or is there a chance that one of the rims is warped. Would a wheel warp cause that much pulsation simply from going over rough bumps or potholes?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 20 2004, 12:05 PM
I own a 2000 Taurus sedan and the steering wheel pulsates at high speeds. It starts at about 50MPH and continues up to about 75MPH. I've balanced the tires and got the brakes inspected. Could it be that the tires are cupped and need to be replaced or is there a chance that one of the rims is warped. Would a wheel warp cause that much pulsation simply from going over rough bumps or potholes?
How many miles are on the tires you own? Chances are they are still crappy OEM ones.

Also, check the torque on your lug nuts, and maybe have your suspension checked out.

-DC

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 20 2004, 12:50 PM
Crappy OEM tires? What the heck is wrong with you?
The firestones and/or continentals that come with the car off the lot are complete JUNK.

I recently ditched them in favor of some yokohama avid tourings, and noticed a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie+Apr 20 2004, 11:56 AM-->QUOTE (duratecchie @ Apr 20 2004, 11:56 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-XMfan
@Apr 20 2004, 12:50 PM
Crappy OEM tires? What the heck is wrong with you?
The firestones and/or continentals that come with the car off the lot are complete JUNK.

I recently ditched them in favor of some yokohama avid tourings, and noticed a huge difference. [/b]
Yeah, the reviews for the stock wheels have been mostly negative.

When you had your tires balanced, did you have them rotated, too? If you rotated the wheels and the shaking still existed, I would say that this would rule out the tires entirely.

You may have some seriously warped discs, but you say you got your brakes checked. Do you have any shaking while you're slowing down?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 20 2004, 11:05 AM
It starts at about 50MPH and continues up to about 75MPH. ?
what about after 75mph?

How many miles?

My 2000 did the same thing and one of the inner tie rods was bad

Hope that helps

Mike

Edit Before anybody attacks me I know he said pulses and that was what mine was doing ,NOT wobbling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2000 has been doing this since I purchased it. I've been told that it could be the rack. It's going in the shop for the 1000th time for the same thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what they come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts