Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SUVs and the Crown Vics both come with the radio and climate controls in the steering wheel option. I would like to add this to my 2003 taurus SEL. I have done research and found that the big problem would be the clock spring. Does anyone have any info on this conversion? does anyone know if the 2005 Taurus will offer this option. Second can you retrofit 2004 - 2005 options to a 2003. For example the INFO center on the 2004. Where can you have retrofits done. Dealers do not seem to want to tackle this type of project.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
im working on somthing simmilar...if i had a steering wheel and clock spring to test i would. Now if the steering wheel is a direct bolt on and the clock spring is not, thats not a big issue, ay you can use the existing 3 wires to send a analog signal to a aftermarket steerignwheel adapter to decode it. The tree wires would be 12v and ground up to the steering wheel, and the third would be the analog data back to the car. If you set the power up to be swiched with ignition, then you could use it to power the lighting on the steeringwheel.

the other problem is you need to get an airbag from that car.

Brad

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The Taurus never will, but I bet the 500 will.

X

·
0 Posts
I was considering disabling my cruise control and wiring up the steering wheel decoder to that. But I didn't have an aftermarket head unit so it didn't matter. I also looked into using those steering wheel controls with the factory hu because a long time ago we had the 96 jbl schematics posted and it was that of a lincoln towncar, and was very similar to ours, but the audio controls ran through the climate control unit, so I gave up at that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts