Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I've done a search and can't see that this exact problem has been discussed before.

I recently purchased a 2001 SEL (black w/grey leather) to use as my DD. It is in nice shape overall, with every option shown in the owner's manual except the cell phone link, or whatever it is called. It has 77K miles.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is that the steering wheel itself makes a "rubbing" sound (like plastic against plastic) at around the 10 and 2 o'clock positions when turning left or right. This happens even if the engine is off. There is no problem or vibration detected farther down the mechanism. It sounds like it is coming from around where the wheel meets the column.

I don't want to just squirt some WD-40 down there and risk damaging something major like the airbag. My mechanic will be happy to look into it for his usual $90/hr. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If its a farting like sound, down at the base of the column, right near the firewall, there is a rubber boot. With age, it dries a bit. Time to put some lube on that rubber gasket under there and it'll hush up :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its a farting like sound, down at the base of the column, right near the firewall, there is a rubber boot. With age, it dries a bit. Time to put some lube on that rubber gasket under there and it'll hush up :)
Thanks! On closer inspection, the sound does appear to be coming from the the boot near the firewall, not at the base of the steering wheel as I had thought at first. What kind of lube do you recommend--for the firewall boot, that is :D?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Thanks! On closer inspection, the sound does appear to be coming from the the boot near the firewall, not at the base of the steering wheel as I had thought at first. What kind of lube do you recommend--for the firewall boot, that is :D?
An aerosol silicone based lube. It has no petroleum products in it, which is a bad thing for rubber based seals (petro, that is), it slowly dissolves them. At your local auto parts and home improvement stores everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts