Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you align a steering wheel on a 97 Taurus so that the horizontal center piece is completey horizontal when the wheels are straight?

The car had a front end alignment by the previous owner a year ago but it is now tilted to 5 o'clock when the wheels are straight. Unlike the steering wheels of old, I pulled the wheel thinking it was just a matter of slipping a couple teeth of a spline but these wheels do not have a spline gear.

A link to how to align the steering wheel would be greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's way off if it was aligned a year ago. Check your tire pressures first. Check the front end and subframe for significant problems or loose fasteners. If you are sure it's safe, the centering is achieved by adjusting the steering tie rod ends equally (one gets shorter and one gets longer) on each side. You have to move clips at the small end of the rack boots so the links can rotate freely. There is a locking nut at the ball end which must be loosened to allow the adjustment. If this is not done correctly, the toe in will be wrong and tire wear will increase and handling may suffer. Make sure everything is back together properly when done since this is the steering system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice

The car tracks beautifully and straight as an arrow but that steering wheel is tilted a bit and driving my son nuts. If there were loose parts, wouldn't I be hearing some noises coming for the front end?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts