Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my rack apparently has play in it. Just rolled 100K, but i've had this clunk for the last year and been trying to chase it down. Most likely i'll pay someone to do it as i need the car done quickly, but how involved is it to change the rack?

Saw a few vids with explorers showing dropping the exhaust, removing the rear subframe bolts and pivoting it down and then removing the rack. Anyone actually done this?

And then can it be reprogrammed via Forscan when done, and how is that process?

I'll prob call a few dealers and get a quote too

EDIT: Ended up not being the rack. Simple fix

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's something I'd certainly be comfortable doing myself. Disconnect the tie rod ends, drop the subframe a little bit, disconnect the front sway bar and move it over the rack so it's not in the way, there's a thing (no idea what it's called) on the driver side that it's vertically inserted into which you pull out of, and then wiggle the rack out of there.

If I may ask, what kind of clunk are you feeling or hearing? Is it physically in the steering wheel?

Check this:

Most entertaining how-to video I've ever watched.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If I may ask, what kind of clunk are you feeling or hearing? Is it physically in the steering wheel?
If you rock the wheel side to side, you can feel the clunk in the wheel and hear it if you stick your head down by the front wheels and have someone rock the steering wheel.

Over bumps, the suspension makes a sound similar to a loose tie rod end rattle. I got under my car this past weekend expecting to replace a tie rod end, pulled the boot off and found the slop in the suspension was in the rack itself. The tie rods were tight (plus i replaced them last year chasing down this rattle/slop) I can shake the passenger wheel and feel the play in the steering rack.

Only on the passenger side...which makes no sense as these racks are usually one piece all the way across.

Searching the explorer forums, i've found several references to the same issue.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/knocking-in-steering-wheel.437784/
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/knocking-in-steering-wheel.437784/

Thanls for the vids. If i had a lift i've feel better about doing this...but my motivation for doing it in the driveway is very low right now. Best price i've found for the rack is $990 + $400 core. ABout to call a few dealers to get some quotes

·
Registered
716 Posts
Find a dealer that will let you supply the rack. I just replaced the rack on my pontiac. Dealer wanted 800 for the rack. Advanced was 116 bucks. And the dealer would install it, just not warranty it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is one of those situations where I'd check car-part.com for a slightly used one from a salvage car, preferably from a Taurus not hit in the front or sides. You could also snag a re manufactured one. eBay has them for $400.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the forscan portion as easy as copying the as_built file from the old rack and loading it onto the new rack? Any calibrations that needs to take place in addition to that?

The video's performing the mechanical part of it seem easy, but I still haven't convinced myself to do the job yet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you do an entirely new rack, it's blank. It needs to have a calibration installed as well before it even knows what as-built is. That function requires IDS or UCDS. Getting a used one (unsure about re manufactured) it already has data and a calibration. You simply just need to edit in your as-built.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you do an entirely new rack, it's blank. It needs to have a calibration installed as well before it even knows what as-built is. That function requires IDS or UCDS. Getting a used one (unsure about re manufactured) it already has data and a calibration. You simply just need to edit in your as-built.
So basically there's a chance i could still end up with a paperweight in my driveway if i change out the rack and find out I am unable to get the rack properly programmed and/or calibrated. Given that i only have a small window to get the job done, that could be a problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So basically there's a chance i could still end up with a paperweight in my driveway if i change out the rack and find out I am unable to get the rack properly programmed and/or calibrated. Given that i only have a small window to get the job done, that could be a problem.
Yes. Bare that in mind. You could check out LKQ on eBay. They have used racks for, like, $200 with varying mileage. Could be something to look into as well?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Bare that in mind. You could check out LKQ on eBay. They have used racks for, like, $200 with varying mileage. Could be something to look into as well?
Yup, seems like $200-300 for a used rack. Some under 50K miles.

I'm just mulling over a few options. Still driving the car for the time being.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
JGZ
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing