Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys - the power steering on my 05 Sable Vulcan has been tough to turn & making excessive noise. I replaced the PS pump today and started to bleed the system. After filling & turning the wheels several times, I put the cap on and turned the car off. As soon as I did, the fluid EXPLODED out of the reservoir all over the engine bay
馃槓
Took the cap off and the fluid was foaming badly. I had hoped it was over filled and took some out & tried to bleed again - same thing. I did some searching online and found a forum thread where people were saying this could be an issue with a loose part in the steering rack. I removed the boot on the passenger side and found what appeared to be chocolate pudding inside. They suggested something needed to be tightened, but the thread was also for a 99 Taurus - so not sure if this would apply to my 05. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Thank you so much in advance Automotive tire Rim Vehicle brake Auto part Suspension
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

Premium Member
Hi, the photo shows the inboard CV joint, that is well greased.
The p/s rack is below the firewall, follow the tie rod ends towards the center of the car and you will see the boots on the rack and pinion gear. Here is a stock photo.

You have to jack up the car, then start it, then you can slowly turn the steering wheel side to side but
not hold it at the stops, that will move fresh fluid into the rack. Don't feel bad, I over filled my car too.

Gas Auto part Automotive tire Rim Engineering

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, the photo shows the inboard CV joint, that is well greased.
The p/s rack is below the firewall, follow the tie rod ends towards the center of the car and you will see the boots on the rack and pinion gear. Here is a stock photo.

You have to jack up the car, then start it, then you can slowly turn the steering wheel side to side but
not hold it at the stops, that will move fresh fluid into the rack. Don't feel bad, I over filled my car too.

View attachment 220412
Thank you so much for the response. I raised the car and turned the wheel side to side for almost an hour today, and the foaming / exploding out of the reservoir is still happening. I've been doing a ton of reading and some people were suggesting that the teflon o-ring on the PS line may be bad, so I replaced that and it's still happening. How would you suggest I track down where is allowing air into the system?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts