Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

So, I was coming home yesterday, and I was doing a steady 75 on the freeway (shh). Normally, I love everything about my Sable, but at that time, it felt like I was trying to steer a wooden go-kart. Ball joints were replaced last year, and I've been checking for tie-rod play every time my car is up in the air. Nothing SEEMS wrong, but I'd like to take up that slack just for safety purposes. Is this one of those "replace everything" deals, or can we narrow it down to a few culprits?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
jack it up and check for inner tie rod movement.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Take the tires off and get a wrench that'll fit behind the tie rod socket and try pivoting it, you can feel for play that way. Obviously the ball joint can cause vibrations, did you buy good quality replacements? They could still be the culprit. On the end of the control arm that attaches to the subframe, you have two bushings, if they're bad, it'll likely cause a vibration. A bad hub can cause vibration.

Does the tie rod have a greasetit? If it doesn't, it's most likely the ones that came with the car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm an idiot. It's tire runout. I took it up to 90 (shh) and got the telltale "out of alignment" vibrations. That's what happens when you by $25 tires off kijiji.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts