Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I make turns at low speeds, I can hear a rubbery noise coming from the steering system, specially when I have the driver window down I can hear it kind of coming out from the front wheels. I took my car to Firestone for a check-up. They told me that my steering gear is worn out and needs to be replaced. The cost is around $800: some $340 for the part, rest is labor and wheel alignment. They also told me it's leaking steering fluid (though, I check the fluid level frequently, and it seems to stay the same). Car has 55,000 miles.

Anyways. I wonder, what's the worst thing that can happen if I don't replace this steering gear? Should I do it as soon as possible?

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (Jacob @ Jun 16 2009, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732622
When I make turns at low speeds, I can hear a rubbery noise coming from the steering system, specially when I have the driver window down I can hear it kind of coming out from the front wheels. I took my car to Firestone for a check-up. They told me that my steering gear is worn out and needs to be replaced. The cost is around $800: some $340 for the part, rest is labor and wheel alignment. They also told me it's leaking steering fluid (though, I check the fluid level frequently, and it seems to stay the same). Car has 55,000 miles.

Anyways. I wonder, what's the worst thing that can happen if I don't replace this steering gear? Should I do it as soon as possible?[/b]
i for one can say that it will last quite awhile...i know its not smart and probly not safe either, but ive had mine draining powersteering fluid for over a year with no pump failure or anything..sure it sucks to turn ..obviously our problem is not the same because you would know it was draining via smoke plumes from power steering hitting cat converter(btw which is probly also why i have 2 bad o2 sensors now)..mines leaking from the non replaceable steering gear gasket

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Couold the noise possibly be coming from the upper strut mount bearings and not the steering gear?

Sounds like Firestone is fishing for $$$$$$$

A rack costs about $100 and takes a couple of hours to replace. They're trying to make a fortune off of you.....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise is barely audible. You need sharp ear to hear it. It could be just a normal pump operation, who knows. Though I remember, a forum member from Texas once noted that some seal in my car had visible fluid on it, so Firestone's leak claim might have been truth.

Autozone lists the part for about $270 or so, and it is pretty hard to replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely stay away for Firestone. You're better off taking your chances with a front end shop. If you live in the Midwest, check Belle Tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts