Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some money unnecessarily on the Taurus. About a month ago, the power steering pump starts whining. Fluid is low, puddle under the car.

Take it into the shop, they say the pressure line is leaking, put a new one on, steering works fine, but the pump is making all kinds of noise. Shop says, "Just air in the line; it will bleed out with driving." A few weeks pass and even though the noise is still there, we kind of get used to it. Everything still working okay.

This week, the alternator dies. Back to the shop, they replace the alternator and I mention that maybe they should just swap out the PS pump while they're in there. My reasoning is that since the whine never went away, the pump must have been damaged when I ran it dry.

Everything fixed, I take the car home, and the whine is still there. With a brand new pump. Also, the fluid is frothing all over the place, overflowing when the car is shut off. :angry: I take it back and they give me the air in the lines story again and say it will go away. So I take it home, but this time I'm more concerned. I look at the receipt and see that they billed me for a bottle of "Gunk PS Fluid". I check the owner's manual it it says PS uses Mercon ATF. Aha! That must be it.

This morning I go to drive the car back to the shop, and by now there is no power assist on the steering, even though there is fluid in there. I point out the error in fluid to the guy a the shop, but he minimizes the concern, sticking with the air in the lines story. However, they did replace the fluid with ATF, bled the system and now it's running fine.

The moral of the story: Make sure you know what fluid is used for each system when it's being worked on, and make sure that the right stuff is used. The Taurus PS pump uses Mercon ATF.

That is all; have a great day, guys!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Yet another reason I do everything myself..... I know it is done right.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
De Air

I spent some money unnecessarily on the Taurus. About a month ago, the power steering pump starts whining. Fluid is low, puddle under the car.

Take it into the shop, they say the pressure line is leaking, put a new one on, steering works fine, but the pump is making all kinds of noise. Shop says, "Just air in the line; it will bleed out with driving." A few weeks pass and even though the noise is still there, we kind of get used to it. Everything still working okay.

This week, the alternator dies. Back to the shop, they replace the alternator and I mention that maybe they should just swap out the PS pump while they're in there. My reasoning is that since the whine never went away, the pump must have been damaged when I ran it dry.

Everything fixed, I take the car home, and the whine is still there. With a brand new pump. Also, the fluid is frothing all over the place, overflowing when the car is shut off. :angry: I take it back and they give me the air in the lines story again and say it will go away. So I take it home, but this time I'm more concerned. I look at the receipt and see that they billed me for a bottle of "Gunk PS Fluid". I check the owner's manual it it says PS uses Mercon ATF. Aha! That must be it.

This morning I go to drive the car back to the shop, and by now there is no power assist on the steering, even though there is fluid in there. I point out the error in fluid to the guy a the shop, but he minimizes the concern, sticking with the air in the lines story. However, they did replace the fluid with ATF, bled the system and now it's running fine.

The moral of the story: Make sure you know what fluid is used for each system when it's being worked on, and make sure that the right stuff is used. The Taurus PS pump uses Mercon ATF.

That is all; have a great day, guys!
DeAiring is easy. Do not ever expect it to happen on it's own.

I took my pump off and replaced the seal. My pump was quiet and I did not want to chance another that might be noisy.

Filled the res and started and it foamed an whined. That is expected.
Shut it off, sucked the foaming fluid out and discarded.
Put in some new.
Repeat run, off, suck the foaming off.
Two rounds and fluid is free of foam.
No noise.
10 minutes and done.

Less than a quart of fluid.

Your mechanic should "get a clue".

-chart-

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would have the P/S Rack inspected for any new leaks if I were you to make sure the old fluid has been flushed out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been fine ever since; no leaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to a shop said i needed a new pressure line (i was filling everyday) the 5 foot one leaking at the rack ever since her tightned the lines and filled it up i have not had a leak r problem yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts