Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i'm driving straight it is difficult to turn the steering wheel to the right and there is almost like a peak and then it gives and turns easier, it is only difficult with slight turns, when I stop and go to make a 90 degree turn to the right or left there is no problem.

the belt is in good condition and the fluid is where it needs to be. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sounds like something is bent, broken, and/or missing. Do a/have a close up inspection done of all front end components. I had a problem that sounded just like that once. Turns out one of the front subframe mounting bolts had fallen out and the frame was flexing and bending (like a "peak" feeling) every time the wheel was turned right, when I figured it out (after the wife even mentioned it to me), it was too late, major structural damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bringing into the shop tomorrow bc i can't find anything, anything else i should check before i pay to find out?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds to me like a pump or rack problem, but it's hard to diagnose over the internetz. May as well wait to see what the shop says.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it was a pump wouldn't i have the problem turning left also, not just right? and if was the rack and pinion wouldn't it be a problem at all speeds? replaced a tie rod end, and a sway bar link and it didn't fix it. going to do remainder tie rod end, sway bar link, ball joints, and inner tie rods this weekend..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No a bad pump can cause high effort in just one direction. I don't know how to test for it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PROBLEMS! all new ball joints, sway bar links, tie rod ends.

When the car was not running and i turned the steering wheel all the way to the left or right power steering fluid would shoot out of the power steering pump.

So I installed a new power steering pump, I didn't take it for a drive but when i started it up it smoked up pretty good, possible i put the pulley on too far??? also i had no power steering at all while parked there, and when on if i turned the wheel all the way to one side power steering fluid would shoot out of the pump cap.

Power steering fluid is a dark dark color

HELP!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It's really a two person job to install a steering pump. I'm not sure what's causing your issue, but if you follow these instructions, you should be able to get the pump installed somewhat correctly.

After installing the pump:

Jack front end and remove wheels, turn lock to lock a few dozen times with the car off, have someone monitor and add fluid as you do this. After that, start the car up (still jacked) and turn the wheel lock to lock another couple dozen times, this should work most of the air out of the system. You can do it with the tires on the ground, but it's easier to jack it. The pump needs to be bled after installation, you need to get the air out of the fluid before it'll work. Some people suggest that it can't be done properly without the vacuum tool, but you'll likely have to take it to a garage or rent one for that. It's likely puking because the air in the system is trying to expand out of it.

As for the issue you described in the first post, I would guess that you have rack issues but I might be wrong. Was there any binding with the tie rod ends or ball joints?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is all the smoking normal after installation? how long about should i be holding the wheel all the way to left or right to bleed? and is it possible that i put the pully on too far? i did not think it was possible and when i installed the pully i just kept going till it couldn't go any further.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
is all the smoking normal after installation? how long about should i be holding the wheel all the way to left or right to bleed? and is it possible that i put the pully on too far? i did not think it was possible and when i installed the pully i just kept going till it couldn't go any further.
The smoke is likely from the exhaust manifold, it's probably covered in fluid. By the way, what kind of fluid did you replace it with?

Basically you want to spin the steering wheel lock to lock, "lock" being the point where your steering wheel physically stops moving. Don't hold the wheel against the lock, this is very bad for the pump. As for the pulley, I would have noted the position of the old one and tried to make it as close to that as possible. If you installed the pulley on too far (is that possible?) you would have a serpentine belt misalignment issue, so you can compare the pulley with others and see how far off you are.

I always say this when questions come on about steering pumps; if it's loud, there's a good chance there's nothing wrong with it, that's the way CII pumps work. They are very noisy and you won't often find a good sounding unit, even from new or reman. They suck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pump is replaced, same problem turning right, also fluid shot out of my reservoir sometime when i drove it around the block is this because it needs to be bleed more? i'm convinced my problem is due to either the rack, or a clog in the high pressure hose..

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
pump is replaced, same problem turning right, also fluid shot out of my reservoir sometime when i drove it around the block is this because it needs to be bleed more? i'm convinced my problem is due to either the rack, or a clog in the high pressure hose..

So, the dead spots are still in the wheel? I would still wonder about it being the rack, it might not do you any good, but if you unlock the wheel with the car jacked, grab a tire and try turning by hand, you might be able to feel or hear where the issue is originating.

It'll likely be the steering shaft or the rack, my money would be the rack.

As for the puking, you might be just overfilling it, if it foams or anything, then it still needs to be bled. Try filling it quarter way up with the engine off and start the car, if there's air in there it'll suck down to empty once the car starts, it shouldn't move more than an inch or two when you start the car.

It'll actually puke out of a little vent hole in the cap, there's one there to allow air to escape.

If I was standing in your driveway, I could tell you pretty quick, but it's hard to say without seeing it, if you want to be 100% certain, you might need a second opinion from a shop or backyard mechanic.

Changing racks aren't fun, I had mine installed and I like to fix almost everything with my cars.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Gen3 Taurii have variable rate steering. There's a electrical connector that plugged into the steering rack down below the steering column. The car's "brain box" (located in the firewall) controls the power to the power steering system, and if it thinks the transmission is in "Park" it cuts the power to the steering rack.

Also, if you work the steering wheel with the power to the steering rack off, the power steering pump will puke fluid. So, I'd conclude that the power steering rack assist motor is not being powered or not working.

Answer this question first: Do the Reverse Lights on the back of the car light up when you put the car in Reverse are you having any problems with the factory radio turning on, or does it turn itself off? If not, then the TRS (transmission range sensor) is either broken or not adjusted properly, and the brain box may not know that the transmission is in gear, so it may have shut off the power to the power steering motor.

And, is the electrical wiring to the power steering motor intact? Is the electrical plug attached, and in good condition?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what i mean is that the power steering works fine when i'm in park, i don't have those "dead spots", I will check on the reverse lights and the wiring today

1 - 17 of 17 Posts