Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 SEL, with 100K miles. Just had the front alligned, and now there is a "groaning" sound when turning the steering wheel at a stop or very slow speeds (parking maneuver speeds). The sound is coming from the steering column/dash area. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
At the base of the steering column(where it goes through the firewall) the plastic being dry is what causes that noise. Spray some white lithium grease in it and it will go away. I had the same noise and did that 2 years ago and no more noise. Let me see if I can find the pic I took a while back that will show you what to look for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
look between the brake and gas pedals'

you will see where the steering column goes thru the firewall.
spray between the space between the white plastic ring and the black ring.
You might have to slide/push the black rubber boot down a little to see
the two rings where you need to spray.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoping it's not the tie rod ends... I think the allignment shop would've said something if those were in bad shape. I'll have to talk my B-I-L through the spray/grease fix.
I showed him how to replace the front brake pads last week. (I have to say they are the easiest pads to replace I've seen in 35 years!)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
96+ Tauruses have some of the easiest front brakes to work on ever. Very easy stuff.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I had the same problem on '04 Sable

Fixed it right up with the lithium spray. Great tip. Wish I checked here sooner. Been listening to that noise for several weeks.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Fixed it right up with the lithium spray. Great tip. Wish I checked here sooner. Been listening to that noise for several weeks.
Common issue with Bulls, and also Lin Cont. It is worse in cold weather.
Just cosmetic. Might have to re lube from time to time.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
I thought I was going to have to re-lube mine, yet I did this almost 4 years ago and it's nice and quiet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts