Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced mounts on '96 to 2000 tauruses several times without incident, so a friend asked me to do his 2006 taurus. Sure. No sweat, right?

Well, upon finishing and starting the car, when I put it in gear, the steering wheel vibrated loudly, and you could hear the vibration coming from the drive train near the tranny. When I tried to turn the wheels, it got even louder and stronger.

I drove the car for a few miles and it quieted down a ton, but still very noticeable.

Car was also pulling hard right.

I know you often need alignment after changing mounts, especially if the prior mounts were literally gonzo, so I had the car aligned today to see if it would help.

Both problems are still present. Steering column vibrates at idle and low speeds....stop after you reach 1 mph or so. Still pulls hard right

Mechanic said car is perfectly aligned, and he could not see anything wrong that could be causing the vibration.

One possibly pertinent note..... i noticed way too late (like after I was done..) that the 2006 has an extra trans mount on the front by the radiator drain ****. Normally, when I raise the engine, the front comes up easily. The back by the firewall is restricted by the linkage being bolted to the steering rack, and by extension, the frame. I was careful not to push the engine up any higher than it woul go (maybe a tad more) but nothing that should have broken anything. I also dropped all the subframe bolts an inch to facilitate the repair (always do this to create space )

It's my best friend's car, so sick to my stomach about it.

Any thoughts on where the problem lies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
What mounts did you use? The aftermarket ones are generally trash for these cars and I've heard stories of the cheaper ones collapsing pretty much immediately as soon as the engine/trans lays down on them. It's possible that's all that happened and it's messed up the geometry for everything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ice445. I used one brand new OEM (which i had on my shelf) and two Anchor mounts. (crap, i know, but I have gotten 75k out of them in the past), and my friend could not wait for the good ones to be shipped. He's going to bring it by this weekend and I will take a look. Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it's possible the trans mount was bent?
Trans mount is flexible...allows the trans to move side to side, as well as up and down...so don't think that is it. I know dropping the sub frame can alter the drive line, but not sure that would cause a vibration. Problem sounds like it has to be where the axles engage the tranny....wondering if one of them pulled out a bit?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have replaced mounts on '96 to 2000 tauruses several times without incident, so a friend asked me to do his 2006 taurus. Sure. No sweat, right?

Well, upon finishing and starting the car, when I put it in gear, the steering wheel vibrated loudly, and you could hear the vibration coming from the drive train near the tranny. When I tried to turn the wheels, it got even louder and stronger.

I drove the car for a few miles and it quieted down a ton, but still very noticeable.

Car was also pulling hard right.

I know you often need alignment after changing mounts, especially if the prior mounts were literally gonzo, so I had the car aligned today to see if it would help.

Both problems are still present. Steering column vibrates at idle and low speeds....stop after you reach 1 mph or so. Still pulls hard right

Mechanic said car is perfectly aligned, and he could not see anything wrong that could be causing the vibration.

One possibly pertinent note..... i noticed way too late (like after I was done..) that the 2006 has an extra trans mount on the front by the radiator drain ****. Normally, when I raise the engine, the front comes up easily. The back by the firewall is restricted by the linkage being bolted to the steering rack, and by extension, the frame. I was careful not to push the engine up any higher than it woul go (maybe a tad more) but nothing that should have broken anything. I also dropped all the subframe bolts an inch to facilitate the repair (always do this to create space )

It's my best friend's car, so sick to my stomach about it.

Any thoughts on where the problem lies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
since you did lower the subframe, you might have skewed the engine cradle slightly.
this could cause some alignment issues. Make sure the subframe mounts are still intact.
check condition of stabilizer bar links on both sides

make sure you did not crack the cv boots and get a lump of crud on the inside of the front wheels.This could cause vibration due to wheel imbalance.

you might want to get the front end up on jack stands and start the car and turn the wheels lock to lock
and listen for anything unusual. Maybe something binding?

**** happens when your moving things around. was working on my venture van the other day after battery change
and some other work. Had it running for awhile and turned it off. took a look under the hood before i shut it
only to discover my battery change job had carelessly let the battery cable to the fuse box rub against one of
the engine pulleys and rub a notch in the cable!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...yes, I too have had those "oops" moments. But ironically, this was one of those very few "flawless" jobs. .. or so I thought. I agree, in that I am leaning toward the axles as the cause. Lifting the engine puts stress on the CV axles, and dropping the subframe the other direction puts evem more stress on them. could have cracked a bearing inside one of the joints...that's my first guess. Owner is also complaining of high idle (racing). (no clue how that could be related) I need to get it back, and get under it to check all of the above. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts