Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have gotten the 'major' project done (with the help of a local mechanic). But now I seem to have this one circular metal piece around the column that shakes loose and rattles around against the steering column shaft.

I don't know what it looked like before, but it seems to fit around the plastic piece on the column shaft. This is all under the dash, just before the firewall. I have two pics attached. Can someone please explain on this is secured and maybe add a picture of their own?

Thanks!
~Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (rudedog @ Mar 18 2009, 08:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709927
shove it back against the plastic collar and run a zip tie around the front of it. (opposite the collar)

OR get yourself a new plastic collar thingy.[/b]

Funny that was my thought today! Thanks, I'll try that... def. beats tearing the column apart again just to replace that part. I'm guessing it's just a metallic shield and not really an integral part.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to put this to a close, I went down to the local AutoZone and bought some of that Plastic Welder. My fear was that I couldn't get the plastic tie tight enough to hold that piece (without crimping other things down).

I put a dab of the plastic welder on both sides that were flat. Let it set up and now that metal piece doesn't move an inch!

Thanks TCCA and rudedog for the suggestions.

No more rattle, car has heat and more importantly A/C.... very, VERY nice!!!!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's the tone ring for the steering wheel angle sensor. The sensor should be mounted on there and surrounds part of the tone ring, holding it in place, and keeping it from rattling. I'm curious as to why you'd have the tone ring, but not the sensor.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Nidan @ Mar 18 2009, 09:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710205
That's the tone ring for the steering wheel angle sensor. The sensor should be mounted on there and surrounds part of the tone ring, holding it in place, and keeping it from rattling. I'm curious as to why you'd have the tone ring, but not the sensor.[/b]

Do you have a picture of yours with the sensor attached? Maybe when we put the dash back up and in we just forgot to put that sensor on.

What does the Angle Sensor do? I haven't noticed anything wrong thus far and drove it around yesterday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts