Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas.

My wife has a 2001 Taurus SEL. For the last few months there's been a funky groan sounding from the steering column when making small turns. I've stood outside the car and had my wife turn the wheel but I couldn't here anything. It's definitely evident when you are inside.

My mother-in-law was in town last week and she owns a 2002 Taurus (SEL I think). She says she has the exact same issue. Luckily her Taurus is still under warranty so it got fixed for free.

She emailed me tonight and this is what she said:

"...took my car to Ford this week. At first he didn't hear anything & called for further info on the problem. Then called back...heard it, even when turning the wheel slightly...said it was a "Bushing" that needed adjustment...the receipt only stated "lubed up steering and bulkhead..."

I haven't had a chance to take a look underneath yet, I'm just looking to see what others thought before I get down there and find nothing (sense my sarcasm?! LOL)

Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They just sprayed some lube on the rubber boot at the firewall where the shaft goes thru from the inside. If you look under the dash, you'll see the big boot around the steering column.. spray some silicone lube on the plastic collar - move the steering wheel and you'll see which part moves and spray around it. That should fix the noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They just sprayed some lube on the rubber boot at the firewall where the shaft goes thru from the inside. If you look under the dash, you'll see the big boot around the steering column.. spray some silicone lube on the plastic collar - move the steering wheel and you'll see which part moves and spray around it. That should fix the noise.
[/b]
Awesome. Thanks for the help!!! I'll give that a go!!!!!

Is there a certain type of lube I should buy? Just hit it w/some PB Blaster or WD-40 or something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts