Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So, I've read through a ton of the posts in here that seem similar to my issues and I'm still stumped. I have an '07 Taurus SE that has me and my father both stumped. The car only has about 109k in miles on it but is presenting some of the same issues people are having on cars double the mileage. One issue is I don't have heat, worth a damn. Second, I'm now getting steam under the hood when idling. Third, the coolant is constantly circulating. Forth, I can't find any obvious leaks. I've replaced the coolant reservoir and bought a new thermostat. I started having the steam issues before I replaced reservoir, as well. I'm trying to to replace the entire cooling system in this car because it's not worth it, in general. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like you'd be able to identify the approximate source of the steam if you look under the hood while it's idling.
You'd think so but I cannot find a specific spot. The closest I've come, so far, is the right front quadrant of car. I'm trying to get as much information as possible, before tearing the front end apart and replacing a bunch of stuff. I have a feeling I have a pinhole in the radiator, a line, or a hose, but haven't torn it down, yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd really try and pinpoint the leak before tearing it down. Cuts down on the guesswork and actual work. Use lots of light, mirrors, cameras, climb under, pull the wheel off if necessary. Get it steaming or get a pressure testing kit before looking. I assume the steam smells like coolant?

I'd ignore the no heat issue until I fix the leak. It could be related but it doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd really try and pinpoint the leak before tearing it down. Cuts down on the guesswork and actual work. Use lots of light, mirrors, cameras, climb under, pull the wheel off if necessary. Get it steaming or get a pressure testing kit before looking. I assume the steam smells like coolant?

I'd ignore the no heat issue until I fix the leak. It could be related but it doesn't have to be.
OH yeah, I can definitely smell coolant. I'm getting under it, tomorrow, so I'll report back what I find.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Could be a heater core manifold pipe, they corrode at the welds and are hidden behind the intake manifold. Also a possible timing cover leak if on the passenger side of engine. The leak usually drops right on the exhaust manifold and evaporates so it doesn't leave a mark on the ground. Two hard leaks to identify.

·
Registered
542 Posts
And of course: heat up the engine until the steam comes out, switch it off and listen carefully to any hissing sound.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For heat issue, feel the hoses going in/out of heater core, they should be hot after reaching operating temperature. If not, heater core is plugged and needs flushing. To locate leak in cooling system, go rent a pressure tester kit, should help locate any leaks easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts