Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a fairly good shadetree mechanic so when I take a car to a garage, in this case the dealer I am really stuck. I had an earlier post on EGR valve insufficient flow that reallly had me stuck. It ended up being a vacuum leak in a large harness assembly- repairs came t $400.

While it was there I told them to do a state inspection, WOW did they mean to sock it to me

Driver inner tie rod- $280
sway bar links- $220
and get this new headlight covers since mine are all brown -- $550 or they could clean them for $120

Since I have been wanting to change the original struts I have picked them up and the tie rod for $250 at Advance, I need to look into the sway bar links- the actual links appear to be OK to me, if anything I would expect the bushings to have been bad but the report said links- does anyone know how to verify that the links are bad?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally got all the repairs complete.

Had all kinds of difficulty removving the steering knuckles to get the struts changed up front, ended up haing to use a gear puller to get the axle and ball joints out. I wanted to replace teh ball joints but could not find a machine shop late on Saturday to press the old ones out.

THe inner tie rod was fun. I could not figure a tool in my box to get it off adn AutoZone did not have right one so I took teh $50 punge and am now the proud owner of an inner tie rod tool. THe job was a piece of cake with the right tool - isn't this always the case!!

THe sway bar links have some rubber bushings that were very worn. Replacing the links is a piece of cake.

To clean the lights I used 100, 1500, 200 grit wet sandpaper nad then buffed it out with a 3M superfine rubbing compound, they look like new

Car hugs the corners and rides great. I figure I saved about $1000 doing it all myself

Now to get at the tranny. It is shifting real hard going int second. THink I can get a rebuilt for about $800, since I have to disassemble the front end agian to do the job I will get ball joints swapped out at same time, when does it end. 4 dirvers, 4 cars, teh fun never ends

G

·
Wow! Sounds like you've been busy! :eek: Glad to hear you were able to get all that done. I'd have to say you are a pretty decent mechanic to do all that yourself. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
as long as you are gonna be rebuilding your trans you might want to look into adding a shift improver kit. They are really cheap. But not worth the expense of having somone else put it in. They are also not worth the time if they are the only thing you would be doing to the trans. But as long as you are rebuilding it, it is just a couple extra steps and it will give you a little crisper shifts, and might increase the life of your transmission if you believe the package.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by maceslin@Jun 15 2004, 08:33 AM
Now to get at the tranny. It is shifting real hard going int second.
The problem is very likely in the valve body, itself. This can be replaced without removing the whole trans, so I'm told. It's right underneath the cover on the side. Good luck getting down there! :blink:

A local parts store said they can get me a rebuilt valve body, if I want to try it. Call around, you might get lucky!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts