Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have problems staying awake on long trips, try eating sunflower seeds. It gives you something to do while driving and helps maintain your alertness.

Just remember to bring a spit cup. If you try to spit them out the window they will be all over the inside of your car.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad!

Can you move it? edited Nevermind. Already moved. (See what happens when you fall asleep at lunch)

B

·
0 Posts
I use coffee and no-doz. No spitting involved.

Of course, when I get to my destination, I'm a little wired.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That works for some, but I still get bored with my own thoughts. If I'm not doing something, I keep getting into arguments with myself.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm not very good at staying alert on long trips. I get distracted quite easily. (oooh something shiny!
) But for staying awake, I find that sitting up straight and playing music really loud help quite a bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A long time ago (late teens) I was driving down I-95 from New York to Florida with 2 of my friends that didn't have their licenses and I didn't want them driving my GTO anyway. I was getting sleepy around 3 in the morning behind the wheel somewhere in North Carolina, stopped for a cup of coffee that must have been decaf. About half hour later I woke up doing 70 in the median heading for a concrete abutment about 500 feet in front of me. I nearly peed my pants, the adrenaline rush kept me straight for the next 12 hours without a hitch. I don't recommend it for everyone, though. In retrospect, I probably should have bought a couple more 8-track tapes with me.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll stickwith my seeds.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 25 2004, 12:03 PM
I use coffee and no-doz. No spitting involved.

and your'e not normally???

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Feb 25 2004, 02:06 PM-->QUOTE (silvapain @ Feb 25 2004, 02:06 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais
@Feb 25 2004, 12:03 PM
I use coffee and no-doz.  No spitting involved.

and your'e not normally???

[/b]
ya beat me to it...

I was slapping myself to stay awake one early morning on my way home from school... it's a 6 hour trek, so I wanted to start early and beat the traffic around Harrisburg. Windows down, system up, head out (take your hat off first... i learned that the hard way one night heheh)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I find I usually slip into "autopilot" even if Im a little tired, and it seems theres nothing I can do to prevent it. The seats are so comfortable in my car, and with the heat on and the constant motion I feel as if I can just drift off to sleep.

I am gonna try the seeds idea, seems like it could work.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Due to a lack of sleep or narcalepsie I feel that everyday on my way home from work. That's how I got started with the seeds. Although it doesn't matter if the seats are comfortable because I'll fall asleep standing up at a rock concert if I'm tired enough.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
My job requires some pretty screwed up hours one day 8-5, then the next 6am-10 pm, then the next maybe 2pm-4am. On top of that I have an hour commute (one way ) to work, so I have found that eating an apple keeps me awake, the sugar gets into your bloodstream quicker, better than a cup of coffee in the morning too, plus it is good for you and doesn't make bad breath

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good ideas, and i will need some, as we get to drive to Indy for march 23 thru 27.

We will start our trip at night. See, my wife sleeps in the car a lot. Her snoring will prolly get us a few "noise pollution" citations. BUT, i will be wide awake.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Interesting methods. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I almost fall asleep.

I once drove 7 hours to Las Vegas and man, it gets boring staring at nothing but desert. Thank goodness for the sleep strips on the sides of the highway!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Feb 25 2004, 05:15 PM
My job requires some pretty screwed up hours one day 8-5, then the next 6am-10 pm, then the next maybe 2pm-4am. On top of that I have an hour commute (one way ) to work, so I have found that eating an apple keeps me awake, the sugar gets into your bloodstream quicker, better than a cup of coffee in the morning too, plus it is good for you and doesn't make bad breath
No, make you fart though.

Pectin = gas

Its in alot of fruits and veggies.

-DC

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Flexing your thighs and calves helps you stay alert. Not only does it give you something to occupy your mind with, but it keeps the blood from collecting in your legs. Plus, you when get out of the car, your legs are no where near as stiff.

I have a funny story of how a co-worker kept himself awake on a long trip, but it's not appropriate for a family-oriented car forum. :uhoh2:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie+Feb 25 2004, 08:53 PM-->QUOTE (duratecchie @ Feb 25 2004, 08:53 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Troper8
@Feb 25 2004, 05:15 PM
No, make you fart though.

Pectin = gas

Its in alot of fruits and veggies.

-DC [/b]
Another way to stay awake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts