Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starter issue, 2004 Taurus SES

Hi there. I have a 2004 Taurus SES, 3.0 DOHC engine. I like my car but it occasionally has some problem when I turn the key and start the engine.
The engine would not crank and I can hear some strange noise. Please see the video in the following link. I took that vido using my cellphone so it is not clear, but you can hear that noise twice as I trid to start my car twice.

What I know about the problem is that
1) It appears totally randomly when the engine is either cold or hot.
2) The battery is definitely fine as I usually wait for a while and restart the engine, and everything will run perfectly.
3) It happens when I turn the key "too fast". If I turn the key very slow I may restart my engine without any problem.

I don't have tools to test the starter and provide more information about it, sorry about that. I guess the problem has to do with the starter. I changed the starter two years ago when it failed. After that the problem remains but it didn't happen very often. However, it happens more frequently now and I am planning to ask dealer to check and change the starter again. But I am not sure this issue can be solved completely. Your advice is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It's hard to really say as I am listening to this on my netbook, but it sounds as if the starter is not engaging. Not entirely sure but that's what is sounds like, again it's hard to tell off of these little speakers. Either the solenoid is not pulling the starter gear out to the flywheel of the starter needs shimmed. That your you may have a bad spot on the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That definitely sounds like the starter. Take it back to whomever did the work if you still have a warranty on the product...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts