Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one post rules/regulations (state-by-state) regarding cold air intakes? because some of the kits out there are not street legal in all states.

<<,Designed to increase horsepower by as much as 10%, although the kits are not street legal in some states >> - KN Website

So just wondering.
http://knfilters.com/kits.htm

I

·
0 Posts
I know that in Missouri, my ram air intake on my old Civic was legal. I was afraid it wouldn't pass inspection because of it, but it ended up not passing because my stupid exhaust had a leak in it. (and yes, it had a fart can)

·
Registered
933 Posts
last time I heard K&Ns were legal because of the material they use. I have heard of some people saying their under hood open cone filter was illegal because it was not flame retardent (supposedly K&N's stuff is?) some people didn't pass inspection just because they changed their filter. nice free country huh?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by Smola97GL@Mar 17 2004, 05:54 AM
South Carolina has no state inspection so you can get away with just about anything on your car. I would rather have some sort of inspection. This way we could get some of the junk of the road and stay a little safer.
you're lucky, inspections suck

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Same here in NV. There's only inspections in large cities and that's only for emmissions. So, basically Reno and Vegas have to get emmissions testing while the rest of the state doesn't require any testing.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
how can they regulate your intake? I don't get it.

"You are hereby found guilty of improving horsepower, throttle response, and fuel economy."

<<,Designed to increase horsepower by as much as 10%, although the kits are not street legal in some states >> - KN Website[/b]
10% LOL

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 17 2004, 10:43 PM
how can they regulate your intake? I don't get it.

"You are hereby found guilty of improving horsepower, throttle response, and fuel economy."

<<,Designed to increase horsepower by as much as 10%, although the kits are not street legal in some states >> - KN Website
10% LOL [/b][/quote]
sounds rediculous huh? the stories I've heard about it where open cones and other open filters in the engine compartment being a "fire hazard" yep its BS

·
Registered
251 Posts
im not to sure about CT although CT inspections have been suspended for like the past 3 years 'cause of the switch over from state controled inspections to private co. controlled inspections... and now theyre suspending them again 'cause of a computer screw up witch is costing people $1000s of dollars in un-needed repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Mar 18 2004, 12:45 PM
sounds rediculous huh? the stories I've heard about it where open cones and other open filters in the engine compartment being a "fire hazard" yep its BS
You should not have problems with fire under your hood in the first place. If you are getting spark anywhere other than inside the cylinders, chances are there is something very wrong with your car in the first place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts